Thread: sturdiness

Thanks

Default sturdiness

this might actually be a question that doesn't need answering, but just in case it won't be, i'd like to get some insight.
    my crested gecko, Disco, is still pretty small. i think at this point he's almost a year old - his birthday's someday in October. not too concerned about that though since i've heard geckos grow at different rates all the time, and he doesn't appear underweight or anything. this is off topic, so moving on...
    i'm worried that the little vine thing i purchased for him won't be strong enough to hold him in the future. it's pretty thin and gives somewhat easily, not to mention the suction cups like to pop off at random. i'd like to get Disco thicker or sturdier decorations and climbing vines for the future, but i'm not entirely sure where to look. any ideas?
    posting this in the caging & terrariums section since i think it could probably apply to some other rhac species.

Thanks

The pangea store is life. LOL

I never liked suction cupped-decor. It ALWAYS falls on me, I hate it. So if I DO use fake things, I like to use thick, sturdy things, or things can be easily wrapped around sturdy things.

i actually LOOOVE this vine that pangea makes:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/p...tile-vine.html

It 'looks' weak and pathetic, but it's like a heafty garbage bag LOL My tubby 65g gargoyle gecko sat on it once and it barely gave. lol

They have these ones as well:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/r...een-ratan.html
    They have brown colored, green, or one with some leaves. I use the brown one for my large crested gecko girl and it's very sturdy. It was actually so long I had to double wrap it around itself and it was quit tough to do Lol

Nothing beats real wood though. People usually hate grapevine cus of how easily it molds, but I think people just don't treat it right or keep the tanks way to wet. When you get grapevine, you need to make sure you soak it in boiling water till that water goes cold, take it out, let it dry 100% (be in the sun outside or just inside on a towel). I've used grapevine in my tanks for over 4 years now (the same pieces...) and have had 0 mold issues.

Manzanita wood is the best wood to use though, but its also more expensive.

Cork rounds are a good cheap option that are mold resistant, but they're usually bulky, very busty lol, so make sure that's something you want before you get em' otherwise you'll be disappointed.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (09-29-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    The pangea store is life. LOL

I never liked suction cupped-decor. It ALWAYS falls on me, I hate it. So if I DO use fake things, I like to use thick, sturdy things, or things can be easily wrapped around sturdy things.

i actually LOOOVE this vine that pangea makes:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/p...tile-vine.html

It 'looks' weak and pathetic, but it's like a heafty garbage bag LOL My tubby 65g gargoyle gecko sat on it once and it barely gave. lol

They have these ones as well:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/r...een-ratan.html
    They have brown colored, green, or one with some leaves. I use the brown one for my large crested gecko girl and it's very sturdy. It was actually so long I had to double wrap it around itself and it was quit tough to do Lol

Nothing beats real wood though. People usually hate grapevine cus of how easily it molds, but I think people just don't treat it right or keep the tanks way to wet. When you get grapevine, you need to make sure you soak it in boiling water till that water goes cold, take it out, let it dry 100% (be in the sun outside or just inside on a towel). I've used grapevine in my tanks for over 4 years now (the same pieces...) and have had 0 mold issues.

Manzanita wood is the best wood to use though, but its also more expensive.

Cork rounds are a good cheap option that are mold resistant, but they're usually bulky, very busty lol, so make sure that's something you want before you get em' otherwise you'll be disappointed.
    thanks a ton for the recommendations! i actually completely forgot about the Pangea store even though i post on the Pangea forums, lol.
    tried using driftwood without knowing about the whole mold thing, and needless to say it didn't go very well. i'm a bit hesitant to use it now, though i'll definitely follow your directions if i do end up buying any. i have been wanting something new to put in place of the old piece of driftwood anyway but haven't bought anything yet, so i'll probably get some.
    i'll also be checking out those vines. they sound pretty great, and i like how they look, too.

Thanks

I have the Reptology Climber Vines (mentioned in previous post) - http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/d...ons/vines.html - and LOVE them. They are VERY sturdy, and a good thickness for both my crestie and my gargoyle. They look realistic, and I've had no problems with mold.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

I'm a fan of sticks from outside that have been baked in the oven, live plants (in pots in cages that have paper towel substrate) and paper towel and/or toilet paper rolls. Large shells make great hides. Hemp twine can be braided or crocheted to make climbing ropes, plant pots, tube "doors," and all kinds of other things. (Jute also works but breaks down faster).
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    I have the Reptology Climber Vines (mentioned in previous post) - http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/d...ons/vines.html - and LOVE them. They are VERY sturdy, and a good thickness for both my crestie and my gargoyle. They look realistic, and I've had no problems with mold.
    good to know! they do look pretty thick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treebiscuit View Post
    I'm a fan of sticks from outside that have been baked in the oven, live plants (in pots in cages that have paper towel substrate) and paper towel and/or toilet paper rolls. Large shells make great hides. Hemp twine can be braided or crocheted to make climbing ropes, plant pots, tube "doors," and all kinds of other things. (Jute also works but breaks down faster).
    i've never tried using sticks from outside before, but i'd be way too weary about it, worrying if a certain branch would do this or that or if i even baked it right...might have to do some extra research if i do that, but it definitely doesn't sound like a bad idea. would have to invest a bit for live plants, and while i'd LOVE to give Disco a vivarium with a foam and silicone background someday, i've located some fake canopy plants that stand pretty well. the one in my tank could probably hold him really well even as an adult, but we'll just have to wait and see! guess it wouldn't hurt to use a couple of live potted plants for a better look, either. never thought of the shells or hemp twine, but those both sound like really neat ideas, so i'll check them out.