Thread: Chinese Cave Gecko

Thanks

Default Chinese Cave Gecko

Hey guys! So i've had my Lazuli for about three months or so where I got him from an expo and totally did not think to fine a cave gecko, since they are a bit harder to find. He was $75 and a hatchling and I adore him, but there is like no info on how to take care of them. I was wondering if I could have some input on his setup and care since I have never found anyone to really compare with.

I have him in an ExoTerra 60 x 45 x 30 cm / 24 x 18 x 12 medium low tank with the foam background so he climbs all over it. Since he was so small when I first go him he just had a log a heat pad on one side with another log hide and a standing plant with a water dish and that cage floor liner. He's getting bigger so he still has the previously mentioned, but I added a cork bark tunnel that is long enough to wedge from corner to corner above the ground in his tank. He loves it because he can go inside it and be even more secretive get exercise from climbing up into it and moving in it. He also got another hanging plant and a simple standing plant to keep the liner down in one of the corners. He sheds just fine expect for the bits that get stuck on his toes, but he has little caps of calcium and vitamins I leave in there so he eats some whenever he wants. He gets misted daily at least two times and is fed about six or more smaller crickets. As he gets older I'll defiantly deck out the tank more and more to make it even more jungle like, though I usually use coco bark, but i'm not sure since I don't use it on him and my leos because they are just licky reptiles and they'd probably ingest the dirt quite easily. He poops just find and his urate is pure white and he's very active.
    Cresties: Pollaris, Eryxi, Sailor, and Fennel
    Leopard Geckos: Fleur and Dismal
    Tokay Gecko: Calliope
    Chinese Cave Gecko: Lazuli
    Panther Chameleon: Lolita
    Gargoyle Gecko: Lior

Thanks

I don't have one, and honestly don't know anything about them, but I googled and found these care sheets, maybe they will help:

http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1768.html

http://nicolesreptiles.weebly.com/ch...ave-gecko.html

http://www.reptiletalk.net/cave-gecko/

http://www.luckyreptile.com/tiere/15...aresheets.html

It sounds like you are taking great care of him.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Unless your room is overly cold, I'd ditch the heat pad. They should not get above 80ish degrees, they are a cool temp species. Crickets are fine, they also really love appropriately sized dubia roaches. They are very shy and secretive geckos and should have a lot of good hiding places. The reason you are seeing stuck shed is from using liner as a flooring material. These guys do best kept on a natural substrate. I really don't recommend keeping them on any kind of liner. It should be soil or moss. Remove the dishes of calcium and vitamins. They do not require this and it will just get nasty if the tank is being kept as it should be. Dust their food items and gutload properly to make sure your gecko gets the proper nutrients.

I work with and breed this species. If you have any further questions, feel free to message me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crestielovely For This Useful Post:

PaleOpossum (09-30-2017)

Thanks

Thank you! I've seen so much back and forth with a heat pad and I just wanted to make sure since I can never find a good care sheet on these guys. Also around what weight do you usually start being able to sex them? Is it like cresties where around 15g they start forming bulges? All crickets are gut loaded and all that since I have nine others to feed besides him.
    Cresties: Pollaris, Eryxi, Sailor, and Fennel
    Leopard Geckos: Fleur and Dismal
    Tokay Gecko: Calliope
    Chinese Cave Gecko: Lazuli
    Panther Chameleon: Lolita
    Gargoyle Gecko: Lior

Thanks

You'll find that crested and gargoyle geckos breeders are really the only ones that go by weight measurements to determine age/sex/breedability. Males will develop an obvious bulge, you'll definitely be able to tell. These guys typically won't breed until they are 2.5-3 years old.