Thread: Small Bump on Gargoyle Gecko?

Thanks

Default Small Bump on Gargoyle Gecko?

Hi! While I'm searching for a vet I thought it wouldn't be bad to ask here as well. So this morning I was checking on my young gargoyle gecko, Demona, like usual, and she has a little bump on her side on the right. Its where her 'armpit' is.

It's soft, and the 'swelling' already seemed to be going down. I will try to get a photo if i can, she was being active this morning and crawling on me so it'll be hard to keep her still, she likes to try to crawl onto my shoulder.

She's eating normally, she's never been a huge eater since i've gotten her and I've had her for a little over 2 months now, and growing well. Were right now feeding the repashy Grub's and Fruit and about to rotate off to another Repashy flavor. We feed no feeders, she has turned down crickets, calciworms, and wax worms so far, her breeder previously had issues getting her to eat them as well. Hoping that once she's a bit bigger she might be in the mood for crickets. She's right now being kept in a 10-gallon aquarium with paper towel as substrate and two pieces of cork bark and a aquarium plant, this is her growout tank. She has a small bottle cap as a water dish, and a I use deli cup tops to put her food in. It is changed out every other day or when it dries up. I mist her twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. To make sure that it doesn't stay super moist and since we do keep the house fairly cool I do have night heat bulb for her.

I did clean her tank as of recently and put in fresh paper towel, rinsed off the cork bark and set them out in front of the fan to air dry for long time before placing them back in her tank.

Thanks

If the bump is still there tomorrow, can you get her to a vet? It sounds like you're doing everything right; it could be that she fell on something in her tank, and maybe it's just a superficial injury and will be fine again soon. If she's active and eating, she'll probably recover fine. But to be on the safe side, a vet visit might be in order.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

EBB "Extra Big Bug" (Madagascar Hissing Cockroach) 1.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    If the bump is still there tomorrow, can you get her to a vet? It sounds like you're doing everything right; it could be that she fell on something in her tank, and maybe it's just a superficial injury and will be fine again soon. If she's active and eating, she'll probably recover fine. But to be on the safe side, a vet visit might be in order.
    Hopefully soon! I get paid next week so I might be able to then, or if my mother is willing to spot me and let me pay her back then we can get her there sometime this week. Just my work schedule is not gonna let me be able to do something until saturday.

The only thing i can think of is that I found her actually hanging upside down from her tank top yesterday morning, but i plucked her off and placed her back in her tank and she hasn't tried it since. Interesting enough the bump had vanished after handing her for a few moments and I couldn't find any trace of it, however getting back from work tonight it popped back up. Still soft as well. Maybe it vanished from her moving around? Odd.

My local reptile store gave me vet recommendation so I might give them a call in the morning to see if they also might have an idea. I was planning on getting her a checkup soon.

Thanks

Just as other suggestions - you might try adding more plants; if there is only one in there, she may be looking for more places to hide.

Also - for the weight gain - I had problems with my gargoyle gecko to start with as well, but switched to feeding him dubia roaches, and he had a huge growth spurt with those. (And they're much easier to keep than crickets.) Also, if yours doesn't like the Repashy flavors, try Pangea. Both are good foods, but some geckos are picky as to their flavors!
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hygge (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Cuban False Chameleon), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) 0.2.0, Ancient barn cats 0.3.0

Thanks

Just as other suggestions - you might try adding more plants; if there is only one in there, she may be looking for more places to hide.

Also - for the weight gain - I had problems with my gargoyle gecko to start with as well, but switched to feeding him dubia roaches, and he had a huge growth spurt with those. (And they're much easier to keep than crickets.) Also, if yours doesn't like the Repashy flavors, try Pangea. Both are good foods, but some geckos are picky as to their flavors!
    Ill see about picking some up from my job next week! We did try pangea, 2 of their flavors! Same kind of deal though she's just not huge on it, i got a good feeding response with the grubs and fruit in comparison, I usually place her dish underneath the tall cork bark so its out of site. We also just don't have a place where I can pick up dubias locally yet and ordering them is out of the question. xD My mother could barely tolerate me bringing home the worms, she drew the line at roaches. Even after explaining. I'm right now keeping her in a room separate from mine just so its quiet and nothing is going on. Funny enough since place her by the window in the other room she has taken a liking to basking in natural light during the early mornings.

Thanks

They don't HAVE to have insects, so if there's no interest in them, just offer the CGD that she likes, and she'll probably be fine.

Be careful that she doesn't get direct sunlight by that window, it can really heat up the tank a lot. But if it's a nice indirect light, that's probably good for her; some UVB from indirect sunlight can be beneficial.

Is the swelling gone?
    Eileen

Thanks

They don't HAVE to have insects, so if there's no interest in them, just offer the CGD that she likes, and she'll probably be fine.

Be careful that she doesn't get direct sunlight by that window, it can really heat up the tank a lot. But if it's a nice indirect light, that's probably good for her; some UVB from indirect sunlight can be beneficial.

Is the swelling gone?
    Yeah! So odd, i guess it was just a small injury maybe? I'm still going to take her to the vet next week, finally found one in my area and got a quote. Rather be safe than sorry.

Haha I made sure it wasnt that close, I just opened the blinds a little when she started to hover by the spot where the light shines. I did purchase an Exo Terra tropical UVB bulb just in case she showed any interest, maybe I will incorporate that into the bioactive tank I'm building after she gets cleared at the vet.

Thanks

Have them check for parasites while she is there. That can also be a cause for not gaining weight. So glad to hear the swelling is gone!
    Eileen