Thread: Pro's & Con's?

Thanks

Default Pro's & Con's?

Hey guys!
    My crested gecko(Littlefoot) is in an 12x12x18 for now(s/he is still a juvenile) but I've been looking around for possible options to get him/her a bigger enclosure once s/he hits 15-25 grams.
    I have 3 options;

- Zilla 20L (on it's side) Critter Cage
    - Exo Terra's New Rainforest Terrarium (small extra tall- 18x18x36)
    - Exo Terra's 18x18x24

This will be Littlefoot's permanent home, so I want to pick the best option for him/her.
    I'm also thinking about making it into a Vivarium.
    What are the pro's & con's of each?
    I would like to know your guys's thoughts!
    Thank you!
    (:
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    #Adopt don't shop

Thanks

I would say 18x18x24 or 18x18x36. They are arboreal and like heights, so the taller the better, if price is not an obstacle.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

PersonalZookeeper (09-25-2017)

Thanks

I think I'll be finding a nice curio or cabinet with a glass hinged front door for when ours needs to move up. And with what I read about the non-toxic sealants I don't think it being wood would be an issue. I've seen some nice all glass hexagon curios that would be ab-so-friggin-lutely great.

Thanks

Just remember about ventilation. Tanks made for reptiles have screening and vents; not so sure about curio cabinets!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I agree with TAD and would go for the larger exo terra. Another concern about a wood framed enclosure is that you will be misting everyday. Most wood furniture is not meant to be wet often and will warp, or the finish will start coming off. Also be very careful of any small gaps- there are many stories of geckos squeezing out of impossibly tiny spaces!

Thanks

Of course

Thanks

If you plan on using a wood enclosure I would highly recommend sealing it like you would a fish tank to make sure the wood on the inside is completely waterproof. Something like this http://www.pondarmor.com/ is probably your best option. I would also make sure to cut out large ventilation holes in the top (and possibly sides) of the enclosure to provide proper ventilation. Cover the holes with a heat resistant mesh screen in case you need to add any sort of heat lamp in the winter.
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston"1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys"1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn"1.3.6.6 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

Thanks

If I used a wood cabinet I'd cut a round hole in the top where there would be about an inch bigger than the lamp on all sides, or a square hole big enough to mount a screen door. I'd then use a non-toxic odorless sealant to all the wood. Then install the screen or screen door. Reseal around any drill holes/screws.

Thanks

I would definitely go with one of the exo terra options simply for convenience sake. I currently use both tanks turned on their sides and exo terras and the exo terras have better ventilation, allow UVB light penetration for my gecko with MBD, and are much easier to heat and cool.
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston"1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys"1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn"1.3.6.6 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.