Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas City Reptile expo and question.

Thanks

Default Kansas City Reptile expo and question.

Anyone going? My girl (no snakes, no spiders, no creepy crawlies allowed) randomly brought up buying a Gecko for our 5 year old boy. I about died and thought she had been possessed but apparently the Crested Gecko is cute... Any advice? I have done quite a bit of research so I know more than if I had just walked in but curious if anyone will be there and if anyone had advice that I've yet to find in my extensive Google searches.

Thanks

There is so much advice out there. The main issues for a first timer are usually proper cage size and moisture... but handling is also a factor. I would reccomend a well started gecko over a baby. For a 5 yead old, who will certainly want to hold the gecko, it may be a good idea to consider an adult. Cage size keeps geckos closer to their food and oversized cages will affect smaller geckos much more than an adult. People tend to over water enclosures. A good way of misting is to spray the hard surfaces until there are droplets, but not so much that it all runs down too much. Do this first thing in the AM and late in the PM. Use paper towel for the flooring as a beginner. Wood chips and coconut fiber can quickly cause issues or death and give you a bad first experience. Experienced keepers have has success with using different beddings, but there are differing opinions on this subject. Make sure there is a hide for security and get a quality food. The Pangea foods are the most widely accepted food for good reasons. Also remember that tails can be lost and may be a little traumatic for a young child. Consider one that is already tailless if you think this will be an issue. Have fun and feel free to share pics and ask questions here.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-24-2017),zqrf2006 (09-25-2017)

Thanks

Great advice compared to my research, thank you. And I have yet to find any advice related to a child (let a lone age specific advice) owning one. Also no one advises on the misting/over misting so thank you for that and I feel like people want to go out and get a baby and drop $250 on a 24x24x48 thinking it'll grow into it where yourself and every other advisor I've found knows you gotta drop the $50 on the 12x12x24 then $75 18x18x24 and so on. They aren't like fish where the more room the more room to grow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zqrf2006 For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-25-2017)

Thanks

Glad I could help. You can also go with the plastc Kritter Keeper tanks or modified platic tubs as they are growing. They are much more economical than glass and come in a variety of sizes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

zqrf2006 (09-25-2017)

Thanks

Went to the expo, saw a couple babies and thought keep looking, this table has one left and it was a frog butt around 7 months old, asked questions and dude seemed knowledgeable compared to my research, held it and it has a great disposition. Dude held it for us, went to another table, asked the guy why there's were $250 ish and he said, I shit you not. "Well if you don't know, I can't tell you". I called him out and he explained it was due to them "not being a backyard setup and expert breeding to create the nicer morphs". The couple that were $200 looked the same as the one at the other table, even the missing trail so we went back and bought the $40 one. Got home, moved him to a bigger Tupperware, went to Petco, got the Exo Terra 12x12x18, a Vine, a branch, and crickets. Stopped at grocery store for a couple coconuts to make hides. Got home and fed it two crickets by hand, set up the habitat, brought it up to humidity and introduced him to his new hideout, he went to the top of the branch and then we sprayed and he drank. Waited until bedtime and brought him out, fed him another cricket by hand dropped one in the cage for a late night hunt if he felt up to it. For some reason I don't know how to add pictures on my phone so I'll try on the computer. Let me know if I skipped any steps or need to do something better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zqrf2006 For This Useful Post:

Big Tom (09-25-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for doing your research too! If your son is responsible (or you are teaching him to be so), then there shouldn't be a problem with it, as long as you are the main caretakers. I love it when parents take responsibility and don't just automatically assume that their kid is going to take care of a new pet, because so often they lose interest after a short time, and the animal suffers.

Bet your girl will fall in love with the gecko. Just remember, they are solitary; it's easy to want more of them, but they don't need a buddy.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

zqrf2006 (09-25-2017)

Thanks

P.S. Do you have some Pangea or Repashy food to use as the main diet? Crickets should be treats only.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

zqrf2006 (09-25-2017)

Thanks

If we do get more or another kind they'll be in their own unit with a blinder between them or away from each other so they don't get riled up. Petco only had Repashy and I heard Pangea was better so I was going to order Pangea, should I just go pick up the Repashy instead of the next day Pangea from Amazon?

Thanks

Default The addition

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  88.5 KBName:  Picture2.jpg
Size:  80.5 KBName:  Picture3.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    If your son is responsible (or you are teaching him to be so), then there shouldn't be a problem with it, as long as you are the main caretakers. Bet your girl will fall in love with the gecko.
    We are working on responsibility but he hasn't even started kindergarten yet, he was one day off from starting the previous year, I gave him three lessons on how the Gecko feels, each lesson came after he did something little that the Gecko probably didn't enjoy like moving too fast. First one was picking him up and flailing him around in the air enough to just make him pretty uncomfortable, he said his stomach hurt afterwords and I explained how moving the Gecko's container with him in it too fast makes him feel the same way. The second one I did really fast movements while I stomping on the ground once after we were far enough away from his room, and the Gecko, it startled him pretty good followed by that's how the Gecko feels when you move your hand in front of his face or move around him fast like that. Third one was I held onto his arm and didn't squeeze so it didn't hurt, but after like 2 minutes of me holding and not letting him move around he got the point why we don't play with the Gecko too much because he wants to be up in his hideout sleeping and you're holding him down here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zqrf2006 For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-25-2017)