Thread: A FAQ for Crested Geckos?

Thanks

Lightbulb A FAQ for Crested Geckos?

As I've browsed this forum over the last year I've seen many of the same questions come up in regards to first time owners or general Crested care. I've been wondering how useful would a FAQ pinned topic be? I know that in many other forums about completely different topics I often see a pinned rules or FAQ thread at the top. What does the community think? Maybe even Tom if you're browsing by chance? At the very least we could compile links to good sources of info rather than answer the questions ourselves.

Some common questions I've seen:

Is my crested's poop normal?
    Why isn't my crested eating?
    What are Cresteds and lighting/heat requirements?
    How much should I handle a new gecko?
    My female laid eggs what should I do?
    How often should I clean the cage?
    How old is my crested gecko?
    Facebook: Avid Exotics

Thanks

It is a good idea. There is just one thing that has always been an issue with it. The vast majority of people will still ask the questions and never look at it or use the search function to research it first. Plenty of forums had created the same thing years ago and still the questions came. It was useful to seasoned members who would refer to it rather than typing the same information for every new member. In recent years I see referrals to websites (of seasoned members) that have basic care and informational pages. The need for information can be fed using that search function. The data base of past threads is outstanding here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Treebiscuit (09-25-2017)

Thanks

People will still ask, and there is always someone who like to give advice every time, even if is basically all the same stuff. And also is never bad to read advice, tips again and again plus anytime can come something new :-)

Thanks

I did an Open discussion series here a while back. If you search Open Discussion they pop up. They may be good as references for beginners and food for thought for those looking for imformation.
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...pen+discussion

I'm considering starting it back up to keep the discussions current.

Thanks

I came across your open discussions while reading back through the forum- they had some very interesting conversations. Do you think the mods would be open to making them stickies?

I mean, people will still ask the same questions- I'm reading 2010 discussions now and people are still asking the same questions, but maybe it will make things more visible for people willing to look a little deeper.

Thanks

That is alot of stickies. Many of the seasoned members used to help direct the newcomers to helpful threads. Before social media took off forums were our social media. The members knew the history here... because they were and still are a part of it. Directing new members was just a part of this community. I would like to see a few people direct in a similar fashion now and see if others follow suit.

Thanks

Haha thatís true. I forgot how many open discussions there are. Redirecting is a good idea- there are a lot of repetitive threads!