Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: craigslist post........

Thanks

Default craigslist post........

so I was looking at craigslist at the geckos for sale. (Im always doing so... they are so addictive) unfortunately , I found a horrible one. I feel so bad for this little guy. He doesnt live anywhere near me, about 6 hours away, others wise, Id freaking steal this poor kid. I always see bad ones, but this one is horrible!! (I always look out of state just to see what is for sale. if its a good enough of a deal, I love to travel).

https://springfield.craigslist.org/pet/5643719834.html
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

here is another.... again, this one is about three states away. this is so sad. Im actually considering going and getting the poor geckos and saving there lives! after all, they are free. but the price for the other stuff!!? https://dayton.craigslist.org/pet/5661907170.html
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Ugh that makes me hurt. The first gecko doesn't look too physicially bad (from that distance of a pic at least), but his jailhouse housing + sand is pitiful.

Now the second, OMG that gets my goat. Letting congenital MBD girls breed and lay and I doubt he ever took the one with a "broken back" to the vet. And how he expects those sickly animals to subsist on "nectar" once a week for his assumed lifespan of "50 years" is beyond me. $500 is an outrageous amount to ask on CL for the tank and setup, hopefully he at least cleans it first and takes a 0 off the price.

Unfortunately this happens a lot with people who don't take the time to learn about the needs of whatever "cute" animal they want to take home. Crested geckos are not expert level animals to care for, if their *needs are met*!
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

These people are despicable!! Sand as a substrate for a crestie!? Sand!? It takes little more than an hour of research every day for two weeks to learn how to care for these or just one good book. But nooo, "let's just get one and hope for the best." "It's just a lizard anyway, right?" "We can just get rid of it when we're tired of it."

These people drive me insane.
    Dude with a gecko, plain and simple.

1.0.0 crested gecko "Connors"
    0.0.1 California kingsnake "Steve"

Thanks

I talked to the one with the sand, and seen if he/ she still had it. And I was like, "sand is a horrible subsrate. you need more plants, climbing materiel and hiding materiel. and, you probaly dont have the correct food for him if he is treated that way. Im just trying to help so he wont die on you. advice". I wsa told to go f*ck myself! lol. ITS FREE ADVICE DUDE! TAKE IT! and for the one ith the three, I cant even talk to them without crying and going off!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Ouch, that sucks. I bet it was quite a stressful communication for you to make, and I applaud you for attempting to make a better situation for that gecko. However, as much as we know that the enclosure was not appropriate (and as you surmised - how is the diet if so?), human behavior is such that most people when they feel attacked will automatically become defensive and much more likely to resist any further input. Being diplomatic with those who have geckos in these sorts of situations in order to provide correct information can be hard for us, but may be easier to reach them to change their ways. I would avoid any terminology that says what they have done is wrong or bad, but instead mention that current recommendations are to use X or Y as they have found that Z can occur using other products (ex: impactions with substrate or MBD with baby food, etc), and offer a quick website (like JBs) they can look at so they aren't just taking your word. Also I would try not to make that the main subject of the communication of the sale post. Kudos again for taking that step that many of us don't, to confront those who obviously are not caring properly for their gex.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFu View Post
    Ouch, that sucks. I bet it was quite a stressful communication for you to make, and I applaud you for attempting to make a better situation for that gecko. However, as much as we know that the enclosure was not appropriate (and as you surmised - how is the diet if so?), human behavior is such that most people when they feel attacked will automatically become defensive and much more likely to resist any further input. Being diplomatic with those who have geckos in these sorts of situations in order to provide correct information can be hard for us, but may be easier to reach them to change their ways. I would avoid any terminology that says what they have done is wrong or bad, but instead mention that current recommendations are to use X or Y as they have found that Z can occur using other products (ex: impactions with substrate or MBD with baby food, etc), and offer a quick website (like JBs) they can look at so they aren't just taking your word. Also I would try not to make that the main subject of the communication of the sale post. Kudos again for taking that step that many of us don't, to confront those who obviously are not caring properly for their gex.
    thanks. I understand how he may feel. I mean, no one wants to be wrong.
    Last edited by Lovelyanddekstest; 07-04-2016 at 01:22 AM.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I commend you as well for trying to inform the owner of that gecko. Whether he listened or not, it was much more productive than my angry rant.
    Dude with a gecko, plain and simple.

1.0.0 crested gecko "Connors"
    0.0.1 California kingsnake "Steve"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
    I commend you as well for trying to inform the owner of that gecko. Whether he listened or not, it was much more productive than my angry rant.
    Thanks. He may have listened, of course Ill never know. But, atleast it is in his head. If he did any research at all, then he would have known is how I look at it. same goes for the other person, why in the world would she house those three together? and the second it started laying eggs..... ugh, I need to stop. I am going to try and get those three. without the cage of course, I cant afford that!! they live near my sister and Im going up ther soon for my nephews b day, so maybe Ill get them then... I sure hope I do and safe those kiddos lives!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I literally cry whenever I look at it. they are soooo skinny, its so sad!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS