Thread: Getting a New gecko

Thanks

Default Getting a New gecko

Hi,

My name is Tiphanie and I am new here. I currently have four crested geckos. Two females (Ollie and Maleah) and two males (Ryeleigh and Tucker). My girlfriend and I are considering getting another gecko but not necessarily a crestie. Although we absolutely love them, we are interested in others. I was hoping to get some advice on here. We are considering a Gargoyle, Chewy or a Leachie. We love New Calidonian species. What do you guys think? Why are pros and cons of all of them?

Thanks

I got my two baby/ juvenile cresties and one baby chahoua within 3 months, and have been raising them for about two years now. Since you have your own experience with cresties, I will just talk about my chahoua / chewies in general

pros:

- chewies are larger than cresties, especially the PI locale. I like having such a big, yet friendly gecko.

- especially baby chahouas are incredibly cute (even cuter than baby cresties!)

- chewies are really smart, and fun to watch when they hunt insects (have a look at the "chahoua smarts" thread if you are interested)

- they have an amazing camouflage pattern

- I love the full prehensile tail

- they tend to be quite docile (though there are differences among individuals)

cons:

- they are larger than cresties, so they may need a slightly larger enclosure. They are also more prone to calcium deficiency, and they really benefit from a UV light and heater (which I would consider more optional in a crested gecko tank).

- especially females can be prone to calcium deficiency, because they lay highly calcified eggs.

- chewies are way harder to breed than cresties, if you have plans to do so.

- their camouflage works so well that they are sometimes hard to find. I once almost lost my chewie because I did not see him on a piece of cork bark I took out of his tank while looking for him. There are lots of stories of chewies hiding in plain sight. It is cool, but can be nerve-wrecking as well.

- they are quite expensive

- they can run extremely fast, and you always have to watch out for escape attempts

- they eat a lot of insects (which may or may not bother you), and seem to be pickier with gecko diet as they get older. My chahoua is quite the purist when it comes to food. He likes his gecko diet very fruity with little protein (e. g. the gecko pro diets or Pangea original), and he is not a fan of the "complete diets". He prefers to hunt his protein.

In my opinion, the pros really outweigh the cons when it comes to owning a chahoua. I love my Urmel a lot and never regretted getting him.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Thank you!!! We decided to go ahead and adopt another crestie. We love the species and know them very well. But the info on cheesy was awesome and super helpful for the future.

Thanks

One of the biggest differences is price. The step up from a crested gecko (and probably more on par with) would be gargoyles. They're relatively easy to find and care is similar to crested geckos. They reach similar sizes, although I find gargoyles to be a bit more heavy bodied and easier to handle.

From there is a big jump cost wise to chahoua. Mainland locale juveniles start around $350 for unsexed. Sexed females will be double that. With Mainlands you have to be careful with underbites and tail kinks, as the locale is notorious for having these issues due to early inbreeding and bad genetics. They are the smaller of the two chahoua types available and their adult size is just a hair bigger than your average crested gecko. You are more likely to find a "pet only" Mainland chahoua at a reduced price if it has any minor deformities.

Pine Isle chahoua babies start around $450 these days (but more often $500+), if you're lucky to find one listed that lasts for more than 30 minutes before someone buys it. They are in high, high demand. RTB females regularly go for $1500+, and white collared specimens (even males) go for more than that. This market is super hot right now and I don't see it cooling off any time soon.

Chahouas in general have great personalities. Most of mine are easy to pick up and handle. They are voracious bug eaters and fun to tong feed. Lucia is correct about calcium and being careful to watch for signs of deficiency. I have all my females on UVB and I keep a bottle of liquid calcium in the house in case of emergency. Only one of my 5 is bat s*** insane. I rarely handle her because she will lunge and bite at every opportunity. But 1 out of 5 isn't bad

I am not as experienced with Leachianus, I've always been more of a chahoua fan. I'd say mix locale leachie babies start at about $400. I've read they can be a bit territorial when it comes to their cages, but again, I've not owned one so I can't give you my 2 cents!

In general, if you're looking for a chahoua or leachianus, now is the best time of year since all the eggs are hatching! You'll find the best availability August-November. Goodluck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ayimera For This Useful Post:

Lucia (09-19-2017)

Thanks

Ayimera is right about chahoua prices. I paid over $500 for an unsexed F2 PI baby. No white collar, though he is a very nice looking and healthy gecko.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)