Thread: Heating, help!

Thanks

Exclamation Heating, help!

Hey guys! I have a 18x18x24 habitat for my crested gecko Yoshi and a large kritter keeper for my hatchling. Its getting colder out and i dont have heat lamps yet (plan on getting some within the next day). The tanks are normally between 75 and 78, but i noticed at night theyre getting into the very low 70s and high 60s Which heat bulbs work best and which wattage should i get? Ive seen some that have 40 watts, 60 watts and 75 watts. Would a 40 watt be ok for both habitats? Or should i find a lower wattage bulb for the kritter keeper?

(Or if i get and 12x12x18 for the hatchling which bulb/wattage is recommended?)

Thanks

I'm watching this thread too. Our mature female (first lizard of any sort) is in an 18x18x24 as well. We keep our home heat set too low for me at about 68 and think we drop it to 65 at night - I'll have to check our heat settings since we still need the air conditioning on right now in the southeast. I think I'll need something for the winter to make sure she stays in the 70s.

How do the radiant heat panels work? I know I'd have to get a thermostat to control it which is fine - but where does it go? On top of the terrarium???

Otherwise I'm interested in one of the bulbs for 'night time' that have the blue tint so I can sometimes observe her moving around more in the evenings. Can I control the heat bulbs with a thermostat as well? I really want something that will turn off and on as needed based on temp in the terrarium.

Thanks

as long as the tanks don't go into the low 60s high 50s, they'll be fine

low 70s to high 60s is perfectly fine for them

If they ever do get that low, get the lowest watt CHE (ceramic heat emitter)you can find and a ceramic wire dome fixture (it's an open fixture made of wire, exo terra and zoo med make them, get the LARGE version) This will provide some heat, but not enough to cook your gecko alive. The open dome fixture will allow you to set the fixture right on top of the tank without worrying about it getting too hot.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Be careful that a bulb or heat emitter does melt the plastic on your Kritter Keeper. it might be safer to get a small Exo Terra. There's really no way for your gecko to get away from the heat in a KK if needed, if you put a heat source over it.

Right now your temps are fine. In winter my tanks (& house) stay between 67-72. I use a canopy light during the day, with either 13W or 26W 100UVB bulbs.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Another option could be dimmable light fixtures. I have two heat lamps that let me dim the bulbs. So I can have the lights on super low and adjust as the temp in my house changes which it does right now since the heat in my place is turned off until whenever the landlord turns it on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    as long as the tanks don't go into the low 60s high 50s, they'll be fine

low 70s to high 60s is perfectly fine for them

If they ever do get that low, get the lowest watt CHE (ceramic heat emitter)you can find and a ceramic wire dome fixture (it's an open fixture made of wire, exo terra and zoo med make them, get the LARGE version) This will provide some heat, but not enough to cook your gecko alive. The open dome fixture will allow you to set the fixture right on top of the tank without worrying about it getting too hot.
    I have a question - been looking around and the lowest watt CHE I found is 25 watts. Seems perfect for what I need. I looked around at the fixtures. These CHE 25 watt bulbs are SO tiny! Little tiny things! Seems the big honkin' wire containers for these bulbs are overkill. Anyone know of smaller open wire fixtures to mount these TINY bulbs in?
    Thanks!

Thanks

We have our house set between 70 & 72 right now and our brand new Gecko was practically shivering so I slapped a heat pad the the side of the tank and when I put him back in he chilled next to it for at least a couple minutes until he warmed up then climbed back up to his perch. Not sure why his habitat was colder than the rest of the house though.

Thanks

They make a smaller version of the wire fixture, but if your talking about the actual socket size (like the socket connector is smaller than a normal socket) Idk. If you went with the wire dome fixture, honestly you may be able to get away with this one:
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/z...t-emitter.html
    (the 60watt)

I used the 60watt once with a wire dome and honestly... the thing only raised my tank from about 70 to 75. If you have a pet store near ya, see if they have it. Test it out and see how much it raises the temp for ya, and if it's too much... just return it.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny