Thread: Leopard gecko vivarium help

Thanks

Default Leopard gecko vivarium help

Hi! Im going to make the jump into leopard geckos and am going to do a vivarium set up rainforest style. Im just looking for ideas that people have done that I could pull some ideas off.

It will be in a 3ft 60 gallon tank. Im looking to build up but easily so the leopards would be able to get up higher even though they are land critters. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm curious about why you'd want to do a rainforest enclosure for a desert species. There are some really nice desert vivs which you can probably see with the right google message.

Aliza

Thanks

Looks mostly. I think as long as the humidity is within range they will be just as happy with tree and vines as they would be rock outcroppings

Thanks

I agree, your leo should have a desert vivarium. If you go on Pinterest and type in desert vivarium, you'll get a LOT of good set-up pictures.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

If the tree and vines are fake and you like the look then go for it. If you're using real vines then they will need water and that could raise the humidity above what it should be for a leopard gecko.

Aliza

Thanks

sounds like your trying to make an arboreal, tropical species out of a desert, terrestrial species... not ganna work. You can't make a tropical vivarium for a desert species and not expect issues to arise. The plants would just wither and die due to the heat requirement needed for the leopard gecko on it's hot side, and lack of efficient water and humidity overall, or you'd give your leopard gecko a respiratory infection because of all the humidity and water you'll be adding to the tank. Heat causes evaporation, even if you're careful about watering plants... the water in the plants themselves will evaporate and it can be just as problematic.

If you want to make a tropical enclosure, why not just get a tropical species?

Fake stuff is fine, but after keeping tropical vivariums for many years I'll tell you right now... you add heat and that little of humidity to an enclosure, those plants just won't survive... or just barely hang on. House plants that generally don't require much humidity may be ok, but again... you still need to water them... and water evaporates...

I'm really not trying to sound like an ass here. But I am trying to look out for what's best for the gecko and to save you the heartache that will follow.

If you want a tropical look for a leopard gecko tank, go with fake plants. Otherwise, if you want a tropical vivarium... I suggest you stick to a tropical species that will be able to handle the humidity of that tank.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Why not make a desert viv for your leo, but add some colorful fake flowers and plants to spice up the looks a bit? They're not really climbers, so probably won't spend a lot of time on vines, or higher in your terrarium anyway, so why not set it up to make it comfortable for them, and still look nice for you?

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=desert%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=vivarium%7Ctyped
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I will be making a desert one next in a different tank but this is the larger tank I had so wanted to do something a bit different. Eventually Im thinking of it being a gargolye or crested tank so need the base done incase I ever go that route.

This tank is also the focus of my living room as it was my marine system so i want it to be attractive even if you dont see the gecko