Thread: Getting A Leopard Gecko - Confused Please Help!

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Getting A Leopard Gecko - Confused Please Help!

Hey guys I'm getting my first Leopard Gecko soon and have a few questions about their care.

1. I will be getting a juvenile and keeping it in a 30x12x12 inch terrarium. I was looking at the under tank heaters available and was wondering if I should get one that covers 1/3 of the tank or 1/2? Their aren't many size options available where I live.

2. What is the best food to provide for feeder insects? (crickets, mealworms) Like what is safe for both the insects and gecko and provides lots of nutrients?

3. How important is the air temperature on the hot and cold side? If the temp doesn't get high enough with a UTH should I add a CHE?

4. Should I leave calcium without D3 in the terrarium? And how often should I dust the insects with Calcium + D3 and how often with multivitamins?

Any answers would really help. Thanks!
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko

Thanks

1. I'd go with 1/3... the gecko can always move to the warmer spot if needed.
    2. Food like potatoes, squash, apples, pears, peppers, carrots etc are great for feeders. They can also eat the ends of a head of lettuce. Remember that whatever food you give your feeders determines how nutritious they are, so a varied diet is best.
    3. For a terrestrial gecko like a leo, the ground temp is more important. As long as they have a good basking spot and the rest of the cage isn't too cold they'll be fine.
    4. If you're not providing UVB lighting, use calcium with D3. If you are using UVB lighting, use calcium without D3. Leaving a bottle cap of calcium in the cage can't hurt so I would recommend doing that. I would dust your feeders every other day or even every third day. Too much calcium can arguably be an issue so as long as the gecko is receiving the supplementation frequently you should be fine.

Best of luck!
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revasius View Post
    1. I'd go with 1/3... the gecko can always move to the warmer spot if needed.
    2. Food like potatoes, squash, apples, pears, peppers, carrots etc are great for feeders. They can also eat the ends of a head of lettuce. Remember that whatever food you give your feeders determines how nutritious they are, so a varied diet is best.
    3. For a terrestrial gecko like a leo, the ground temp is more important. As long as they have a good basking spot and the rest of the cage isn't too cold they'll be fine.
    4. If you're not providing UVB lighting, use calcium with D3. If you are using UVB lighting, use calcium without D3. Leaving a bottle cap of calcium in the cage can't hurt so I would recommend doing that. I would dust your feeders every other day or even every third day. Too much calcium can arguably be an issue so as long as the gecko is receiving the supplementation frequently you should be fine.

Best of luck!
    Thanks a lot! I'll be using your advice for all the questions I had and hopefully they result in a healthy happy Leo Also do you know anything about dusting with multivitamins? I'm not sure how often I'm supposed to dust with it.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko