Thread: Emergency Evacuation: how do I take my geckos with me?

Thanks

Exclamation Emergency Evacuation: how do I take my geckos with me?

There's a category 5 hurricane set to hit my area soon and I have to take my 4 hatchling geckos (2 crested, two gargoyle) and one adult (crested) with me.
    I'm not really sure how to pack them for the trip, as I know I will likely be forced to evacuate very soon due to being on the coast.
    I will be taking my car and spending the week out of state in a hotel until the storm clears up. I know they're probably not allowed there, but I have no choice.
    I don't know if there are any hotels that allow reptiles, or up to how many of them?
    If anyone has any advice on hotels that allow them or how to pack them for the car trip I would be very grateful for it.

Thanks

I doubt any hotel will realistically be bothered by reptiles. I think they're usually worried about property damage and noise.

As for how to transport, deli cups or tupperwares with holes should be ok- just be careful of drastic temp changes and sun shining on them in the car. Some people recommend putting the deli cups in coolers to buffer the temps a little. Kritter keepers should be ok for temporary housing if you can get some in the next few days.

Good luck and hope the storm isn't too bad!

Thanks

Get reptile heat packs, bottled water and pack up their food in ziploc bags if it isn't in a jar. If you don't have Kritter Keeper style enclosures, you can poke air holes in tupperware containers and use those to transport them. As for the hotels, the tupperware containers work best because you can just put them in your bag during check-in and smuggle them inside. Best of luck!
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

Pets are welcome at La Quinta hotels. There are probably others; some say only service animals, and some municipalities have restrictions, but geckos are small, easily contained, and cause no disruption, so "sneaking them in" would probably be pretty easy.

If you use Tupperware (or Gladware or similar) containers, remember to poke holes in the lids from the inside out!

Take some small bottle caps for feeders, and bottled water for you and your pets, and a roll of paper towels. Put some damp paper towels in the bottom of the containers, and if you have a couple of spare fake plant sprigs, put those in the containers as well.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I agree with everyone.

A small gecko will be pretty easy to sneak inside... I've once snuck three chihuahuas into a hotel without any problem. Besides, i would think they could let you pass this one time, since you don't really have a choice.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Even if you do get asked about them, just say that they're small, silent geckos that eat fruit. (If people think that bugs aren't involved they won't care about the geckos for the most part.)
    2.2.3 Correlophus ciliatus

Thanks

I assume you live in Florida (?). Anyway, at this time of the year I would not worry about packing a heat pack for your gecko in most states, but you may need something to keep your gecko cool on the road. I would pack an ice box with a couple of cold packs in the car, then put the gecko in a separate cooler box or bag with one or two cold packs at a time - not too close to the gecko. You can put the gecko in a small transport box (I use Tupperware-like boxes with air holes), and put a thermometer probe where the gecko is, then play with the cold packs and towels etc between gecko and cold packs until the temperature around the gecko stays somewhere in the 70s. If it drops to the 60s temporarily, it won't harm the gecko, just try to avoid abrupt temperature changes and letting the gecko get too hot (~85 F and above). Use the ice box to regenerate the cold packs after they melted.

As a travel enclosure, I have used this container with air holes drilled into the lid:
    http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/airt...r/1098437.html
    It is great because the seal makes it escape proof even for hatchlings, and it has a convenient handle. You can use a toilet paper roll as a makeshift hide, and just pack some fake plants/vines and bottle caps for food and water.

If you are staying in hotels, I would let them know you have the geckos with you. As Revasius said, just say they eat fruit (you probably won't be traveling with feeder insects anyway), and that they will stay in their enclosure. Especially if you are evacuating from a hurricane, the hotel managers should be understanding that you could not leave your pets at home. Ask them to not use any room sprays / scents insecticides or harsh cleaners in your room to protect your geckos. You could also just put the "do not disturb" sign on your door if you are worried about chemicals used by the room service.

Good luck! I hope Irma does not hit as hard as Harvey. Best wishes from Texas!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)