Thread: First Time Owner

Thanks

Default First Time Owner

Hello! I'm new to crested geckos, actually to owning any sort of reptile, and I got my first one yesterday. I have been lurking on this forum for a while, doing as much research as possible, so I knew what to do when I brought my baby home. I went to the pet store (I think petsmart? I can never remember which one I'm at lol) to buy all the supplies I needed, and thankfully they had almost everything in stock. I have the little guy (not sure of the gender, its too small, but I'm calling him a boy for now) in an exo terra 12x12x18, on paper towel substrate, with a driftwood branch and some fake plants in there for hides. So far its looking a little drab but I plan on sprucing it up next week when I get some more money in the bank lol. I intended on buying my crestie from a reptile shop down the street from me, but I saw the little guy in his tank at petsmart and I knew I had to have him, so I took him home with me.

I have a few questions however: first, there was nothing even resembling a good CGD there. When I asked the employee who helped me get Rhaegal (his name) out of the tank, she told me that crests should be fed only crickets and fresh fruit, not any of the CGD, which I know is false. I asked her if they had anything besides the National Geographic stuff (which is in pellet form and I know can't be good), she said she didn't think so, then again told me to get crickets and just dust them with calcium and thats all I needed. I left the store without crickets, and buying the National Geographic to tide me over until the Pangea I ordered comes in. I put it out for him in a little cap (its currently sitting on the ground of the tank, I also ordered the magnetic food ledge from Pangea), but it doesn't look to me like he's touched it yet. I know its only been one day, but I have a feeling that he isn't going to want to eat it at all. Should I go and get crickets for him, or wait until the Pangea gets here and trust that he will be ok (and hopefully eat this stuff). The pangea hasn't even shipped yet, and it won't be here for 7-10 days once it does ship.

Another question I have is about the humidity level. I haven't seen it drop below 50, but I do seem to struggle to keep it any higher than that. I misted heavily last night, and when I woke up it was pretty dry in there with humidity at 50. I misted a little lighter this time, and les than three hours later it had already dropped back down to 50. I misted yet again, a little heavier, to hopefully sustain it for longer. Is it ok if it stays at 50 throughout the day, or should I keep up the misting three times a day? What are the ideal ranges, because I've seen conflicting information?

Thanks

If you're in the US, the Pangea will probably get there a lot quicker than 7-10 days, they usually have very quick delivery. Most cresties won't eat for a couple of weeks in a new environment anyway, so you are probably safe with what you have until the Pangea gets there.

Add a shallow water dish to your tank, and put a bowl with some damp sphagnum moss in it in there as well. Put some tin foil loosely over the top of your tank (where the screen is), that should help hold some of the humidity in. Or you can try putting a damp washcloth or towel over the top also, but keep it off your screen to avoid rusting, and be careful not to keep it near any heat source due to fire hazard. The foil would probably work best if you can work that out. The humidity should go no lower than 50-60 during the day, and should be at least 80-90 after you mist at night.

You might also call your pet store's manager and kindly let them know that their feeding regimen is putting the health of their cresties at risk. You can tell them that all the information you are reading says they need Pangea or Repashy complete diet, NOT fruit and crickets only, and that you would like to see that improvement at their store.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Thank you for the info! Im going to definitely try the tinfoil. I turned the fan off in my room (I usually leave it running during the day) and I did notice the humidity didn't drop as fast. I misted about 6 hours ago and humidity only dropped to 55 instead of dropping below 50 like before. Also I ordered the pangea and the food ledge from chewy.com, so I'm not sure if that changes the shipping timeline. I did get the email today that it shipped so hopefully it will come in soon. Its good to know that he should be fine for the next week or two, as he might not want to eat anyways. I'll still leave the pellet food out just in case he does get super hungry though.

I will try to add pictures maybe in another post, but he is so so tiny! I mean he can't be any larger than my thumb. I don't have a scale to weigh him yet, I am probably going to pick one up from walmart/target in the next few days, but I wonder how old he is. The pet store didn't really tell me, the lady just said that usually the cresties they get are bigger than he is. I actually wasn't sure he was even in the tank at first because I couldn't even see him. He should be fine in the 12x12x18 right? I have heard of some people keeping theirs in a smaller container while they are this small. I have a kritter keeper that I brought him home in that I could move him to, but I'm trying not to handle him at all. Ive only ever touched him to move him from the KK to the tank. With him probably not even eating this food, he should be fine in the larger tank I would think, and I can put the ledge very close to his favorite hiding spot. He always stays in the top corner of the tank, hiding in the fake plant there.

Thanks

Ok so for an update, shutting off the fan in my room has helped so much! The tank stayed humid, and is actually hovering at 70 so far (I expect it will drop by the end of the day, when I will mist for the night). In addition to shutting off the fan, I put a slightly damp paper towel on half of the top screen to try and trap some of the humidity in, and it seems to be working. I just don't have any tinfoil at the moment (need to do some grocery shopping lol), so thats what I'm using until then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kate34x For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-06-2017)

Thanks

If he's that tiny, as 12x12x18 will be pretty big for him, but you can probably use it if you put two feeding stations in there. Tiny geckos in that size tank might have a hard time finding their food, but seeing that you finally got the humidity set up just right, just try an extra food station. Even if it's on the floor of the tank for a while. A large Kritter Keeper would be a better container when they're that small, but it might be harder to regulate the humidity again.
    Eileen

Thanks

My pangea and the feeding ledge should get here sometime later today, so that good! It came a lot faster than I thought it would. Im going to put the ledge nice and close to his favorite hiding spot, and also leave some food in the bottom where I had put out the NatGeo stuff, so if he goes down to the ground he should be able to find it (I've seen him on the floor of the tank once before, which was the only time he's ever moved out of his hiding spot).

Thanks

Chances are, that's his favorite spot, but he's moving around at night when you don't see him. They tend to find a favorite spot, and you think they never move, but they do!
    Eileen