Thread: Not eating again.

Thanks

Default Not eating again.

I've had my gargoyle for a few months. He has randomly stopped eating, and he's lost a gram. With his light the temp stays at 75 to 80 degrees and humidity is very consistent, and my substrate is paper towel because impaction scares me. Should I take him to the vets? He's acting as he normally would.

Thanks

Thanks for posting your temps right off the bat, that was my first question!

If those are your daytime temps with a lightbulb, what does it drop down to at night?

I assume by consistent you mean between 50-80%? Don't want it to be above 80 all the time, let cage decor dry out, down to 50% between mistings.

I've never heard of a gargoyle gecko being impacted, but paper towel is certainly an easy way to clean.

I wouldn't rush off to the vets just yet, may want to change up some variables first. What food are you feeding him?

Hope this reply finds you well~~

Thanks

At night I turn his heat mat on but it's behind glass and his styrofoam backing the digital thermometer never goes lower than 65. He eats pangea food. I also mushed a organic banana he did eat a little. I have four types of pangea flavor.

Thanks

65 is still pretty low, I would keep it above 70 at night. The temperatures of New Caledonia can get into the 60s at night during their winter--many breeders replicate this cooling period by keeping their animals in the 60s for a few weeks to prepare the animals for breeding when it warms up. Many animals eat very little during this time, which may help to explain his decreased appetite. Here is a decent site with average temperatures http://www.holiday-weather.com/noumea/averages/

My next question is, have you tried insects?

Thanks

My dude hates crickets. I've tried crickets, and small roaches. He has zero interest so I pull them out of his tank in the morning. He did eat after I posted this. He just went from eating regularly to not as often.

Thanks

He could be reacting to a change in temperature and the cool night temps you have him under. If it gets that cold at night I doubt a heating pad behind the styrofoam would produce any heat into the tank so the cooler night temps are likely slowing his metobolism and causing him to eat less. 1 gram isn't too big of a change for a larger gecko, a large poop could even vary the weight that much. If he looses more or fails to gain (if he's still growing) then I would start worrying.

Thanks

So my little dude is making a liar out of me because he gained 4 grams, and I moved a heat mat to the side so he can go there to warm up.

Thanks

Honestly, I tried a heat mat and it did nothing. It doesn't transmit heat into the tank really at all and my gecko was never really on it especially at night when they should be active and moving around/eating. I use a heat lamp with the blue night light to heat the tank.

Thanks

I use a heat lamp during the day very low Watt and I put the mat in his favorite spot and is doing great. He went from 17 to 21 grams in two months so I'm happy.