Thread: Messed up trip plans

Thanks

Default Messed up trip plans

I haven't worked in over a year ( at least not in the conventional sense for money) as a direct result of severe lyme disease making income problems of working without money prior to lyme disease even worse.Anyhow,
    long story short out of this, I take what I can get in terms of opportunities so I accepted an offer to get away with my parents for two weeks.
    Knowing in advance before I even got this offer that I would have two hatchlings due every month, I had tentatively asked a reptile rescue about an hour away if they could possibly board reptiles and they said yes and I decided if an opportunity came up to be away, I would plan this further.

In the meantime, my Facebook account was shut down over "suspicious activity" with my contacts including that reptile rescue to board reptiles and all of the potential interested parties for my potential hatchlings.
    I have an inexperienced friend who can come and check on the geckos.
    What worries me is that I have one hatchling, who is going to be about a month old when I leave and two more eggs due to hatch either shortly before or just as I'm leaving. I was planning to keep the first crested gecko hatchling as this is the first reptile I've ever hatched.
    I had even considered simply giving the two fertile eggs away to the people previously interested in hatchlings instead of having two newly hatched geckos arrive just as I'm leaving. I think it would be best if the fertile eggs were relocated instead of the newly hatched geckos. Until I get my Facebook account back, I cannot contact them.

So I 'm going away in about a week and still not a word on my Facebook account, despite that I have resorted to calling on the phone to try and get my account back because I cannot log in to ask for help on Facebook directly. I still have no clue why my Facebook account is shut down because I cannot talk to a person and all I get is a message service when I call. Next time I'm going to collect phone numbers so I am not stuck like this as my Facebook account was shut down suddenly without any warning overnight.
    Even if I get my Facebook account back, time is running out to make these plans to board the hatchlings or potentially give away the two fertile eggs. With such short notice, the reptile rescue might not have space to take my hatchlings knowing they might have to be kept separate from the rest of their reptiles in case of disease transmission.

So I'm getting frustrated and accepting that I might need to make alternative plans of having the hatchlings setup very well and checked on by the same inexperienced friend. I don't know if I can get her come every two or three days instead of every three or four days for the hatchlings.

Thanks

Where are you? Maybe someone on the boards would be willing to help you out.

Thanks

There has to be another way to contact them. Make a new Facebook and contact them through there? What was the name of the rescue and the people you were talking with? What city were they in?

Thanks

Have you tried googling the reptile rescue? You could probably get contact info for that place and that may be your best bet. Otherwise, if you have to go with the inexperienced friend, I'd recommend the following:
    teach him/her how to mix CGD
    put the eggs that are about to hatch in the tubs you hopefully plan to keep the hatchings in once they arrive so that when they hatch, they'll already be in their tubs
    put a water bowl in each tub to help with humidity
    Ideally, your friend could keep the tubs in his/her house and just mist them every evening
    Even if the hatchlings are just fed 2-3 times in 2 weeks they'll probably be fine. It's not the ideal solution, but it could work out.

Aliza

Thanks

You could also ask one of your friends or your parents or anyone you personally know with a working Facebook account to contact the reptile rescue and get a phone number.

There is also the possibility to hire a pet sitter for a few extra visits so that the hatchlings are fed and misted more often than your friend can do. I often quickly found petsitters through petsitter.com. I know money is short, but if your parents are able to invite you on a vacation, maybe they could also spend a few extra dollars on giving you peace of mind - and healthy hatchlings when you return.

Hope something works out, and that you get to enjoy your vacation!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Problem is I don't recall the reptile rescue name exactly or yes I could google or search for them online. I have tried to call my brothers a few times hoping he could get into the help section for me on my behalf.
    My other idea was to ask the person that I bought one of my gargoyle geckos from, but also is a contact on Facebook. Although I did search through my email to see if I had any non facebook related correspondence related to when I bought that garg.

I had two 12*12*12 setups ready to go for these potentially two sets of hatchlings( although since one of the eggs in the first set didn't hatch there's only one hatchling housed in there now) well in advance except that I need to put in fresh water and fresh food. The next set of eggs due to hatch is in a bowl of hatching media under a bit of moss. The first hatchling hatched directly into the setup and was never moved, although if I knew there was only going to be one ahead of time, I might have gone with a smaller kritter keeper. Need to setup a five gal. or kritter keeper for the next set of eggs, although these are not due until I come back.

I think/hope my parents might help out in that area.
    I don't know any professional pet sitter that looks after reptiles, plus if I didn't have someone experienced with reptiles, we'd be paying someone more for basically the same services that my friend is going to do.

Thanks

I see from another post you seem to be located in VT. If so, google "Vermont reptile rescue". If not google "[name of your state] reptile rescue" and you'll undoubtedly find it.

Aliza

Thanks

I realized I had a phone number in my email box to another contact of someone that I had bought a gargoyle gecko from and I was going to get up the confidence to ask about potential reptile boarding, but no answer on the phone tonight. If only I had realized this earlier instead of being so determined to get my Facebook account back and look up my contacts there.