Thread: Administering oral meds

Thanks

Default Administering oral meds

I posted a few days ago about my crestie that tested positive for giardia. I am picking up meds tomorrow, but I'm a little worried about administering it. The vet said to get her to gape at me and just squirt it in, but I haven't handled Shale (our gecko) yet and don't really want to start this way!

Any suggestions? I am thinking of maybe mixing it with some honey and trying to dab it on her nose, but I'm not sure how well that's going to work. Apparently metronidozal tastes horrible. The vet is recommending dosing every other day for 5-10 doses That's a lot of sad gecko (and sad me!). Help!

Thanks

I have never administered metronidazole orally, but I had to treat my three geckos for pinworms and coccidia with oral meds. Some like the taste, some don't (though with unflavored metronidazole, it is probably mostly "don't").

Right now, I have a female gecko who is on a calcium supplement she hates, and I mix it with a small dab of baby food (e. g. Beech Nut "just mango" or anything else with gecko-appropriate fruits and no added citric acid). That works, but you just have to ensure the portion of baby food is small enough that the gecko gets a full dose. I have also read about people mixing metronidazole into the normal gecko food - again, make sure the gecko eats it all.

A bit of honey could work as well, if your gecko likes it. Mine are not too crazy about pure honey.

I actually tasted a drop of every medication my geckos had to take myself, just to get an idea of how awful it is. Then I mixed it with baby food or gecko diet and tried it again. I figured one drop would not harm me, and the geckos mostly like flavors humans like as well - sweet and fruity. So if you don't find it tastes awful anymore, your gecko probably finds it OK as well.

If you decide to just give Shale her medicine without sweetening, I found the least stressful way to do this is to get help from a second person. Then gently pry the gecko's jaws open with a thin piece of plastic, like a credit card, and have the second person inject the medicine in the gecko's mouth.
    If the gecko still has a good appetite, you can also let her bite into an insect that takes a bit of chewing, and inject the medicine while she is still working on the insect.

Good luck, and hope your gecko gets well soon!
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the advice! I picked up the meds today and ended up mixing with her Pangea and a tiny bit of honey. I dabbed it on her mouth a little at a time and got most of it in her though she didn't seem to love it. By the end she was wiping her face on things, so we'll see if I can get five doses in her!

Thanks

The biggest thing is making sure she gets ALL the med at each dosing, or it's not going to work. Sometimes, if you push the tip of the syringe up against the side of the mouth, along the lips, and slide it back slowly and gently, you can get them to open up. Similar idea to using a credit card. If you can get her to open up, you can squirt it in and be done.

Oh, mixing it with her food may make her stop eating that kind of food because she'll always think that it will taste bad or associate that smell with unpleasant things. If you just want to sweeten it, you can dilute some honey, and use that. Or sugar water.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.