Thread: Janie... will she make it?

Thanks

Default Janie... will she make it?

Roughly Saturday evening, I noticed Janie, (my moms Doberman) was limping on her rear right leg/foot. Later that night, I noticed it was her left foot this time. I thought maybe I mis-judged it before and it was really actually her left foot the whole time. The next day she wasn't limping at all, but she layers there just kinda whining (Sunday). Sunday night when my mom got home, she didn't even get off the bed to go greet her (like she always does. She follows her around EVERYWHERE) she just lied on the bed whining. Today, she was swelled up, dialated eyes, hasn't moved all day, unable to walk, or walks very slowly. We took her to the vet, the second he was her he noticed her eyes and could tell she wasn't feeling right. He checked her heart and said it's barely there, that she is ready to check out. Tried taking her blood, maybe only got two drops? Took her back for an x-ray and she lied on X-ray table for 30 minutes, didn't try getting up look for my mom, lied there with comepletely strangers. They got her rays and finally got blood. Blood results stated that everything was okay, except calcium is elevated and thyroid is a little high. X-rays showed lesions in the lungs, fluid or something around heart. Huge colon and bladder. Intestines and kidney and liver ect. Is all pushed up and over to one side and in chest cavity. Found two masses in her abdomin. His thought was cancer. Elevated calcium levels and cancer can be associated. He suspected the masses were cancer. He said there is nothing else he could do, if she was his, she'd put her down. We could take her to a 24/7 emergency vet and do lots of tests and blood work and give her IVs, but that alone will cost up to $5000. That's just the tests, no treatment. And they might come back with the same diagnoses. He said she probably won't last another day in this situation without any treatment or anything, and even with treatment she might not last a day. We had the option to put her down, bring her home, or take her to the 24/7 vet. We chose to bring her home and let her live out her last times comfortable at home.m, instead of letting random people poke at her or putting her down, just invade she made it out okay. We have pain meds to help with the pain. About 15 minutes after we left the vets office, he called us saying that he was researching because the more he thought about it, the more it didn't make sense. He found something that showed almost every symptom she had. Plus, it is mainly seen in Dobermans. It is a rare hyperthyhemia disease; Myxedemia/Myxedmia Coma. We now have Thyroid meds and pains meds, and hoping for the best!

Even though she's my moms dog, we all still love her to pieces. Her name is Janie, but a lot of my sibling ana d my father have their own name for her lol, Puppy, Dilly (because she likes to snap like a crocodilly) and Ruby.
    Hopefully she'll make it, not just her sake or everyone else's, but for my moms. She is her baby and my mom has lost a lot in the last year and she deserves the best.

It's crazy though, death is almost always followed by life. Shortly after by grandpa died, we got a pig. Our rescued preg cat is due any day, right after Janie (might) dies. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Ni6DX
    I really appreciate the vet continuing, after we leave, in trying to help Janie. She's only three years old...
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

oh boy that super sucks! I wish i could offer you help but I haven't had a dog for YEARS.

However, I have been researching the raw diet, which I plan to really study up on so that when i get a dog, she/he'll be fed the best thing for him. During my research, I have read many cased of where a dog who was on dry food diets exhibited extreme health issues, vets had no idea why it was happening or even what was causing it, and the owner took the initiative to research raw food diets and those symptoms, after switching over and within weeks of the new change, the dogs were exhibiting better coats, more energy, healthy stools, no bad breath, amazing skin, etc. The list goes on, and those that had an a health issue, most cleared up.

Perhaps this may be an option to better her health? But keep in mind once you start... you can't stop, not without risking health damage to your dog. Think of it like a human going off wheat/glutin because they just found out they're allergic (but have been eating it their whole life) and decided to go off it. A couple months later, they take a bit of pizza or something and within the hour, get super itchy, get diarrhea, etc. This is what happened to my grandma. Imagine that as a dog. I don't know if it's exactly what would happen but dogs aren't really suppose to eat half the stuff they put in that kibble.

Raw diet sounds expensive too, but I've read up on that too. Cosco is a great place to get bulk meat for a decent price. If you have a ... meat market or something, that's your cheapest option. Walmart is a good place to get your staple meat (chicken) for super cheap. A couple large bags of various meats, portioned out and frozen, can last a dog almost a month, or more depending on how much you buy. If done right you can get all your meat for a month+ for the same price you'd pay for a 'high quality' big bag of kibble.

I can't offer any super dog knowledge, but I felt I would at least offer this, as it has been something I've been very interested in, and almost want to try it for my cat as well.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanical8Dragon For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (08-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    oh boy that super sucks! I wish i could offer you help but I haven't had a dog for YEARS.

However, I have been researching the raw diet, which I plan to really study up on so that when i get a dog, she/he'll be fed the best thing for him. During my research, I have read many cased of where a dog who was on dry food diets exhibited extreme health issues, vets had no idea why it was happening or even what was causing it, and the owner took the initiative to research raw food diets and those symptoms, after switching over and within weeks of the new change, the dogs were exhibiting better coats, more energy, healthy stools, no bad breath, amazing skin, etc. The list goes on, and those that had an a health issue, most cleared up.

Perhaps this may be an option to better her health? But keep in mind once you start... you can't stop, not without risking health damage to your dog. Think of it like a human going off wheat/glutin because they just found out they're allergic (but have been eating it their whole life) and decided to go off it. A couple months later, they take a bit of pizza or something and within the hour, get super itchy, get diarrhea, etc. This is what happened to my grandma. Imagine that as a dog. I don't know if it's exactly what would happen but dogs aren't really suppose to eat half the stuff they put in that kibble.

Raw diet sounds expensive too, but I've read up on that too. Cosco is a great place to get bulk meat for a decent price. If you have a ... meat market or something, that's your cheapest option. Walmart is a good place to get your staple meat (chicken) for super cheap. A couple large bags of various meats, portioned out and frozen, can last a dog almost a month, or more depending on how much you buy. If done right you can get all your meat for a month+ for the same price you'd pay for a 'high quality' big bag of kibble.

I can't offer any super dog knowledge, but I felt I would at least offer this, as it has been something I've been very interested in, and almost want to try it for my cat as well.
    Thanks so much for the suggestion.
    TBH we really, really don't think she'll make it overnight. But if she does, we will definitely do a raw diet. I've also been reading some about it and I've always wanted to do it. Thanks again!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I am so sorry to hear about Janie, and especially because she is so young. At least, if she does pass away, you can know that you tried everything in your power to help her. And you are right about the circle of life. I would also like to believe that we'll see our beloved animals in the next life.

Peace and comfort to you and your family, and to Janie.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (08-30-2017)

Thanks

Just a quick little update; she is doing much better. still not 100% and out of the woods. In a week or so we're going to run more blood work and X-rays to see how things are.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-01-2017)

Thanks

Janie had her two week follow-up appointment today. Instead of giving you guys a super long post like last time lol, I'll just give you the basics. Basically, he said her Thyroid counts are perfect. Last time, it was <0.50 and today it's 3.20... Ideally is between 1.20 and 4.30. We have another follow up in about two months, and she has Thyroid meds til then. And she's lost 6 ibs!! Vet said not to put her on any special diets or anything, continue everything as it's been. The weight will be taken care of along with her Thyroid issues with the use of the meds. He said she should gradually get better and better.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-13-2017)

Thanks

So glad to hear this good news!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (09-13-2017)