Thread: Ok, now I have a problem.....

Thanks

Unhappy Ok, now I have a problem.....

So the clutchmate hatched! Yay, right? Well......there is more. I think there is something wrong. He looks like he can't move his tail. The upper part of it looks fine, but the lower part is all, like flimsy and floppy. He also looks like he can't move his foot. His arm/leg whatever you would like to call it is fine but it just looks like he can't move his foot. How I know this is when he walks he kinda just drags it...... I thought I would be happy when he hatched, now I'm just terribly sad and worried. He's my first hatching! I dont know what to do. I really, really need some help on this. I can't let him die. He's my number one priority right now and I keep checking on him. Everything else looks fine on him. Hes breathing, jumping, walking, running, but hes not that active and I understand that considering he just had to cut the egg with all his energy. Now I think why his clutchmate died in the egg

Thanks

This is difficult as this may not have a positive outcome.
    If he hatched in the wild he would have died very quickly either from not being able to get food of eaten by another animal, mother nature & all that.
    I think you need to consider over the next day or so if he is going to have any quality of life & if he is gong to be able to feed & care for himself with shedding etc or he going to be dependant & if so if this fair on him going forward to extend the suffering or struggles on a long-term basis.
    I think only you can make that call & decide what is best for him in the long run, but you need to think what's best for him & not for you as we can sometimes be selfish in this situation & go with what we want.
    Earlier this year I have 2 gargoyles that hatched with their internal organs on outside of their body for me the decision was easier as I knew they were not going to survive & it was about shortening their period of suffering.
    You will never know for sure why this occurred it could be genetic, it could be something that happened it the incubation period etc.
    Sorry I can't decide for you but you are the person best positioned to make the decision on how best to go forward with this.
    Good luck.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

As ace said, its your decision, animals do have an amazing ability to adapt, and he has a slight upperhand because he is in captivity. However if he does stay like this and dont grow out of it, he will be a long term pet that you will have trouble rehoming, unless its to a rescue. I would make sure he has done his first shed, it usually is within 24/48 hrs( i believe), see how he handles that, and then assist him with his first feeding, use a cu-tip and dab a little on his mouth, it may take patients, or whenever he licks the air put the food in front of him. Then get a waterbottle cap, something really small/shallow and see if he can feed himself, you may not notice lick marks and not all babies will eat right away, just keep offering fresh food. Check for poop which means he is eating. Then you can judge wether he is getting worse, in pain etc. And make that call. Take pictures if you can. We may be able to understand better the scale of his problems.
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

I would say to give him a chance; he may not be perfect, but he may be able to live a fairly comfortable life with his disabilities. If he struggles though, and it does not appear that he will improve - or at least function well (if not normally), then a decision to let him go may be in his best interest. Do plan on keeping him for his lifetime though, however long that may be. There are few people who would take a reptile with health issues. (I am probably one of them, though. I seem to have a neon sucker sign on my forehead. )
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Ok, he has started to learn to use his one foot, but he definitely still uses as little as possible. For the tail i'm a little concerned that it is totally "dead" and what I want to ask about that is.....Will it eventually rot as his body will tell the brain to shut all blood from going there? I'm not to worried if it will because if it does it wont harm him because he doesn't need a tail to survive, so i'm not to worried about that. Another thing I noticed is that he has a short tongue. He cant lick his nose or barely lick out of his mouth so I have to put the food very close to his mouth. This is going to be the biggest problem. I know what u guys said about being fair and that he shouldn't have to live if he is going to suffer, but the thing is he acts like a totally normal gecko. He walks and jumps, although he doesn't run much which inst a big deal because honestly that is better so I wont lose such a tiny little creature. He loves climbing different textures, hes so amazing and now im not sure that he will live such a horrible life. If he needs help along the way, I will always be there for him. He might become my closest gecko friend if he survives of course. And I would not make him live a life that he would have to suffer all the time. Im not like that, and I dont know who would do that in the first place. U really think I would do such a thing? Well I wouldn't because I rescue all animals in the first place. But anyway, what do u guys think? He is like a total normal gecko, he just has a few flaws. I think that if he doesn't get worse because he is getting better with his foot then I will do what I can to help him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Krusty and Krystle For This Useful Post:

TAD (08-30-2017)

Thanks

I think that sounds just fine. If you have a vet who knows geckos, you might ask about the tail. But yeah, I think they can have a good life if they are cared for and are not suffering, even if they are not perfect. Monitor the eyes. They do lick their eyes clean, and if he can't do that, there could be problems, but don't panic about that yet, just something to watch for. Thank you for caring about this little guy.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Ok, one of my main concerns about this little guy was if his tail & foot are not able to be moved by the gecko I.e. he can not control movement of these; is this a type of paralysis of nerves to these areas. In addition to this as I am not knowledgeable of the gecko nervous system, I am not sure if this is indeed nerve damage wether developmental & injury at some point if this may affect other areas that are not visible I.e. control of bowel function or potentially paralysis of this??
    I guess time will tell in relation to this & other potentially hidden health concerns/ challenges that might or might not exists.
    It's not that I think you should write the gecko off here but you are best positioned to make a call as to how far you can or should go in assisting him in to live a reasonably independent life as a gecko.
    Not being able to see how he functions & exactly what assistance he requires to live his life as it i, then I do not feel able to make the call as to if one should provide all assistance no matter cost or consequences for who or whom.
    You need to continue to do what you feel is right & acceptable to both Gecko & gecko carer in the long run no matter how long or short that might be.
    Ps At a guess I don't think the tail would rot of its own accord but if he drops it for another reason stress shock etc then he does. As he appears not to have use of it I don't see that dropping his tail would be an issue but indeed maybe more helpful for him if he was to lose it as it would stop getting in his way.
    Good luck
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

He has now started to use his tongue. It seems normal size now, so im not that worried anymore. I dont know how he managed to make it look so small. Now he licks everything, so I guess thats good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krusty and Krystle For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-02-2017)

Thanks

I think he will be okay. I've seen many lizards who have completely severed limbs and who live perfectly fine. Plus, thinking in terms of general pet care, if he was anything but a lizard (i.e. a dog or cat) you probably wouldn't put him down for limping and not using his tail. I was going to say that the tongue might be an issue because, as tad said, they do rely on it to clean their eyes clean however since he seems to be getting over that I don't think you have anything to worry about. Of course, he is a special needs animal and is therefor going to need a bit extra help so keeping him is most likely a life long commitment (although i'm sure you'll find someone who might be able to take him later on, it'll just be a harder search) + he is definitely not breedable but I don't think that means he doesn't deserve a chance to thrive in his current condition.
    As for the tail, I would personally wait a few days to see if it gets better (like his leg and tongue did) but if you are still worried you can consider removing it. Some owners of cresties with FTS remove their animals tails if they deem it a hinderance however crestie tails are only semiprehensive to begin with so I don't personally think it's anything to worry too much about. If it seems to weigh him down or if he seems to stumble over it then you definitely need to look into removing their tails but otherwise it probably isn't going to effect his quality of life.
    New crested gecko owner | Previous owner of a bearded dragon

Thanks

A vet check might be a good idea to try to get a better idea of what might be wrong. There's a number of different things that could cause the little guy's symptoms. Some may get better with time. Some may be treatable. Some may be really really bad in the long run.

At least with a vet check you will hopefully get a better idea of what is going on and how to proceed.