Thread: Some questions before I buy my first leopard gecko.

Thanks

Default Some questions before I buy my first leopard gecko.

Hey so I am getting my first leopard gecko at the Sep 10 Reptile Expo and I have a couple of questions:

1) How much cash should I bring? I see at my local pet store that they are around $40, so I am curious to know how much an average gecko would cost from a breeder. I plan on bringing around $300(I'm pretty sure thats more than enough, but just making sure)

2) It's going to be sort of a warm weather so I do plan on having the AC on, anything I should bring to keep the little guy warm? If not ill just turn my AC off.

3) What would you say is the rarest morph for a gecko? I ain't looking for the rarest but I would like to know why some are more expensive than others.

4) I do plan on looking for a Mack Snow gecko and naming him Jon very original or too corny?

Thanks for taking your time on answering some of my questions.

Thanks

Congrats on planning to get your first gecko. Here are my answers:

1. Do you mean how much cash for just the leopard gecko or do you have to get the whole setup? If just the gecko, you should be OK with well under $300, but it never hurts to have extra cash.

2. The gecko will be fine with the AC on for the journey home. Just don't leave it in the parked car if you make a stop because it can get hot fast

3. I would say the rarer morphs are really nice (orange red) tangerines, white & yellow, marble eyes and maybe supersnow eclipse. The price range is due to people with reputations as quality breeders selling for more, very high quality versions of some morphs, people overcharging and getting away with it.

4. If you like the name, it's not corny

Here's the Gecko Time article about attending your first reptile expo (even if it's not your first, it has suggestions about how to proceed if you plan to buy):
    http://www.geckotime.com/attending-y...-reptile-show/

Aliza

3. The Following User Says Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

CrestieFan1 (08-27-2017)

Thanks

1) How much for just the gecko, i already got my accessories for my setup. I do plan on bringing close to $400, so I guess I am fine

2) Okay, I planned to go straight home anyway.

3) Oh I gotcha, thank you!

4) Haha, it was a joke, Game of Thrones reference

Thanks

No gecko is worth $400. It shouldn't cost more than $100 or $150 and probably less than that (when I've sold leopard geckos, most of them have been $25-45 with the absolute best ones $50-90).

I didn't watch Game of Thrones because I knew I'd be obsessed if I started.

Aliza