Thread: How Easy Is It To Rehome A Bearded Dragon?

Thanks

Question How Easy Is It To Rehome A Bearded Dragon?

I'm thinking of getting my first Bearded Dragon but I'm not sure if I'll be able to take care of it for his/her entire life. How easy is it to rehome a Beardie if I offer it for free? I live near Vancouver BC so their should be a good number of reptile enthusiasts near me.

Thanks

This is not at all to sound mean, but I think if you can't be sure you can care for it, then you probably shouldn't get one until you are. That's not to say that even if you did commit, something unforeseen might come up that would constitute an emergency rehoming, but for the most part, I don't think it's fair to the animal to get it and then give it up.

And, after many years of being in rescue, I've seen and heard too many bad things happening to "Free to good home" pets. Too often they're taken by people who want an easy-care disposable animal, and it doesn't get the best of care. If you do get one, and end up giving it up, at least ask for a small rehoming fee. If people invest a little money, they'll be a little invested in the animal.
    Last edited by TAD; 08-26-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

I agree. You shouldnt buy a pet and later in its life cause unneeded stress for it. What is the point in getting one only to later rehome it. They are a big commitment and if you dont think you can commit then get a goldfish or a hamster as they have a small lifespan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Christylauren For This Useful Post:

TAD (08-30-2017)

Thanks

I agree with what others have said. Yes, you could probably find someone to take him/her, but as TAD said, often times people who buy an animal cheaply online don't give it the best care.

I can relate to you because I currently own a bearded dragon. It started off as my mom's. It was a complete impulse buy, and the day after she got him, she already said she regretted buying it. A few months later, he got passed on to my boyfriend. And now, he is in my care. Personally, I am not as passionate about bearded dragons as I am about other reptiles, and I have considered rehoming him. However, I am so afraid that someone would not take proper care of him if I offered him cheaply online. My boyfriend and mom felt the same way, which is why he got passed from person to person.

Please do not get the dragon if you feel like you won't be able to take care of him/her. I know my dragon (Pete) has not had a great life, and I often feel very bad for him. So please, do not get a dragon if you are not sure. That being said, however, I was not crazy about crested geckos when I got my first. Who knows, maybe you will love bearded dragons. But please, if you are willing to buy an animal, please commit to its entire life, not just part.
    1.1.0 Correlephus ciliatus (Bae and Luci)
    0.0.1 Ceratophyridae Ceratophyrs (Reginald)
    1.0.0 Pogona Vitticeps (Pete)
    1.1.0 Black cat (Army and Coal)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sleepiskindaboring For This Useful Post:

TAD (08-30-2017)

Thanks

I agree with the above. If you can't commit to it's whole life care, it's not a good idea to get one. Also, free and cheap pets either get very poor care and die horribly, or die horribly for other reasons. (Yes there are rare exceptions). As for the actual question about how hard it is to re-home a dragon. Part of that depends on it's morph/genetics. The fancier it is, the better it's chances of someone who cares will adopt it. The planer/ordinary it is, the harder it will be to find a home. If you do need to re-home, at least try finding a herp club or reptile rescue that could take it. Then it will get good care at least, and maybe a descent home eventually.

The average life of a beardie is about 12 years. That's almost the exact age that almost all of my dragons died at.