Thread: Leaking egg

Thanks

Default Leaking egg

I noticed what looked like a drop of water on top of one of my eggs about 3 days ago. I used a piece of paper towel to clean it off and noticed another drop a few hours later. At this point I moved the egg to a different location in the box and dried the lid. After a few more hours another drop had appeared. I came to the conclusion that it was probably a leak so I covered the area with a small piece of paper towel. The paper towel was soaked through the next day so I decided to try a piece of tea bag. The tea bag became soggy and came off by the end of the day. I replaced it with another piece this morning but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do? The egg is about 38 days old the baby is clearly still alive inside because I can see it moving when I candle it.
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston" 1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys" 1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn" 1.3.4.8 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

Thanks

Most likely your substrate is to wet. If water is condensing atop the container often/regularly its to wet. If you take a handfull of the material your eggs are in and can squeeze more than a few drops of water out its to wet.
    http://www.enviedreptiles.com/
    Check it , You wont regret it.

Thanks

I have 9 other eggs in the same box that aren't having any problems. I check the box every day to make sure there is no condensation built up. I wiped the lid at one point to make sure it wasn't from water dripping on it. My humidity in the box stays between 73-78% and I made sure there was no excess water. I checked the egg again with a loupe about an hour ago and noticed a very tiny crack My fiance wants to put super glue on the crack to reseal it but I wasn't sure if that would be safe.

Thanks

I called my vet today as a last resort and she said that cyanoacrylate super glue can be used to repair leaking eggs as long as you only use a very thin layer and the membrane under the calcium layer hasn't been compromised. I applied it this morning and as of 20min ago there is no more leaking! The baby still has movement when candled so I'm really hopeful that it will survive.
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston" 1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys" 1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn" 1.3.4.8 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

Thanks

Leave it alone...It MAY be fine. If not, you have 9 others and that's a pretty good average. I've bred cresteds for 15-16 years now...Have never done anything more than use super-hatch and wait. I haven't measured humidity or candled in more than a decade and have had a 99% success rate. Leave it alone...
    We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Thanks

He hatched! This is the tiniest hatchling I've ever seen but seems to be doing good. It's head is only the size of my pinky nail and it only weighs .52 grams! The egg barely grew and still was only the size of some of my other geckos eggs when they are first laid. I took the egg out of the box last night to candle because I thought it had died and as soon as I placed it on the light it started to hatch.

Name:  A1.1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  86.9 KB