Thread: Leopard Gecko Thermostat

Thanks

Default Leopard Gecko Thermostat

Hi there, I bought a full leopard gecko set up, 2ft viv, hides, heat mat, thermostat and all. I set up the heat mat under some kitchen roll, and then topped off with a ceramic tile. The heat mat has no problem heating to 33 degrees (i use a microclimate ministat). I have it set to 31 degrees celcius, but it goes upto about 34.5 occasionally before the light turns off, and then down to about 28/29 before it turns back on...
    Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so how can I fix it or am I doing something wrong?
    The thermostat probe is attatched with tape to my thermometer probe and they're placed down ontop of the tile on the warm side.
    All help appreciated, thanks.

I'll also add I don't have a leopard gecko yet. But I do keep crested geckos :-)

Thanks

Sounds similar to my leo setup. Do you have a infrared temp gun? I used one when setting up mine to see how it did and I actually had to set the temp a little high in my thermostat to get the proper temps in the tile. But I actually placed my probe under the tile. So that may be why I had to turn mine up.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieFan1 View Post
    Sounds similar to my leo setup. Do you have a infrared temp gun? I used one when setting up mine to see how it did and I actually had to set the temp a little high in my thermostat to get the proper temps in the tile. But I actually placed my probe under the tile. So that may be why I had to turn mine up.

Hi mate, thanks so much for the reply. I don't use temp guns no, I use exo terra probe thermometers (not the dial ones, i binned them haha, useless). Would you recommend the temp guns? are they a lot better?
    I think I've sorted it now after shuffling the thermostat and thermometer probes, I have a hot spot that stays 30-33 degrees celcius :-)
    Also, awesome username! I keep two crested geckos myself! :-)

Thanks

Thanks mate - luckily i've sorted the hot end temp (30-33 degrees celcius) took a lot of shifting and little adjustments.
    I don't use a temp gun, I use an exo terra probe thermometer, not the dial ones, i binned them. useless. Would you recommend temp guns?
    Also, nice username! i keep two cresties myself, wonderful little creatures.

Thanks

I think a temp gun is nice to have but no they are not necessary. I started using one when I had bearded dragons.

The exo terra ones are good i believe. I personally use a jumpstart thermostat myself. It seems to work well for me.
    Jump Start MTPRTC Digital Controller Thermostat For Heat Mats, Seed Germination, Reptiles and Brewing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S..._O0ANzb70471KE

Thanks

I think a temp gun is nice to have but no they are not necessary. I started using one when I had bearded dragons.

The exo terra ones are good i believe. I personally use a jumpstart thermostat myself. It seems to work well for me.
    Jump Start MTPRTC Digital Controller Thermostat For Heat Mats, Seed Germination, Reptiles and Brewing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S..._O0ANzb70471KE

I'll have a look at the jumpstarts... (I think they're in the US though?) Im using a Microclimate Ministat. Seems to be doing ok now. But I'll have a look incase it doesnt work. I'm probably picking up my leo in a few days!

Thanks

Good luck when you get him/her

Thanks

Unless you are doing super critical scientific work, or have that kind of equipment, there will be some variation in the temperature compared to what you set the thermostat at. However, your range is a bit bigger than it should be. It could be that the thermostat you have isn't sensitive enough so it takes longer for it to come on and go off. An infrared temp gun might be a good idea. It's super useful for checking temps on lots of stuff. However, I'd recommend getting one that has adjustable emissivity (think I spelled that right). Different types of surfaces radiate heat differently, so being able to adjust for that can be important. So the simple point-n-shoot un-adjustable ones may not be as accurate. I also had one go wonkers on me and I tried a bunch of stuff to fix it before I tossed it. (It said my beardie's head was 239F). A descent adjustable one starts around $30 US on Amazon. Mine specifically said it was rated for reptile use, as well as huge number of other things, and was certified calibrated at the factory. It was about $75.

I would say you either have a thermostat that isn't sensitive enough and/or your thermometer is also off. Unless you get a super expensive thermostat, whatever one you get will have some fluctuation range. But it shouldn't be as big as what you have now.

Good luck!!