Thread: Hello from MB Canada!

Thanks

Default Hello from MB Canada!

Hey! Iím been lurking for a while so I figured it was about time I made an account and an introductory post. I got my first reptile, a baby crested gecko, just over 2 weeks ago and itís been a blast Ė theyíre so cool! His (or her) name is Charmander, and I THINK a Flame Pinstripe morph. The owner said he was around a month old when I got him. Heís currently in a 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh top, paper towel substrate, driftwood, artificial plants, a rock, and a hide. Iíve been switching him from Pangea (what his previous owner fed him) to Repashyís just because my local pet store has Repashyís, and I offer him calcium (with D3) in a dish on the side, and some water. I mist his enclosure once or twice a day. He seems to be doing really well Ė he shed about the third day I had him and it went well, no stuck shed or anything. I havenít seen him shed since (2 weeks now), but I may have just missed it? I read somewhere that babies can shed every week or so? Heís eating, drinking, very active, and thereís no stuck shed anywhere, so I just assume heís doing alright. But if Iím doing anything wrong please say so! I want the best for him.

As for me, Iím a biology undergrad and aspiring field biologist/zoologist. Iím in archaeology field school this summer for the field experience Ė though finding ~thousand year old stone tools and pottery is pretty cool too, and tons of bison bones. I grew up on a farm with lots of pets but never reptiles. I have an African Grey parrot (Rita), and I used to have aquariums but had to put them all into storage when I moved into a dorm room 4 years ago. I'd like to get more geckos and a ball python in the future.

I don't know what else to say so here are some cute photos of Charmander. The first three are when I first got him and the last is the most recent.
    Name:  ge1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  23.4 KBName:  ge2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  23.0 KBName:  ge3.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  15.2 KBName:  ge4.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  23.7 KB

Thanks

welcome to the forum! Nice looking gecko. I'm thinking about Manitoba lately since that's where I went to see the last North American total solar eclipse in 1979(!). Now I'm heading to Idaho this weekend to see the next American eclipse.

Aliza

Thanks

Just got back from a vacation in MB!
    You can get Pangea from ReptilesRuS. It's a Canadian company.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

@acpart Thanks! And have a good trip!

@Treebiscuit He seems to like the Repashy's so far, but thanks for the link - it's good to know where to find it if I need it, or just want to change it up.

Thanks

Hi & welcome! Congrats on your new little buddy! They're pretty cool little critters! Yours looks to have lots of personality.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Hi & welcome! Congrats on your new little buddy! They're pretty cool little critters! Yours looks to have lots of personality.
    Thanks! Yes, he's very entertaining to watch. He's started to hunt and pounce on water droplets after I mist his enclosure - he's turning out to be a fierce little hunter haha.