Thread: First ovulation / gecko getting ready to lay?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question First ovulation / gecko getting ready to lay?

Hi guys,

I think my female crestie Pumpkin (nearly 2 years old and ~ 36 g, though she won't let me weigh her right now) is producing eggs for the first time. She has never been with a male, so I expect the eggs to be infertile, and I do not know when to expect them.

Pumpkin is looking noticeably rounder, has a huge appetite, and won't let me touch her. She has been barking at me at the slightest touch for the past two days, which is definitely unusual for her. Is there any way to tell when she should be laying the eggs? Just worried about egg binding, and with a virgin female it is hard to tell if she is 'on schedule'.

She has a medium sized repti-shelter with moist sphagnum moss as a lay box. Anything else I can do to make her comfortable and help her lay those eggs?
    Last edited by Lucia; 08-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Hiya! Like you I just went through my first female (though I have gargoyles), Echo, laying and wasn't sure what to expect with time!

I'm unsure of my first two gargs' (Delta & Echo) hatch dates but they're probably pushing 2 years old and Echo my female is 50-57 g. She had a monstrous appetite up to probably the week-of laying, where she kind of just hid in her repti-shelter the entire time and while I noticed a loose stool here and there, I also didn't think she looked as "pear shaped" as before and didn't feel as though the eggs were as pronounced as they had been. I got paranoid and took her to the vet, everything was absolutely fine.

About two nights prior to laying she scratched the hell out of the paper towel substrate in every spot she could in her tank. Finally, after almost 60 days, she laid two duds, outside her hide. Her cloaca was never swollen or had any discharge that I noticed prior, so I think the retention was her own doing/first time confusion. That and her hide might be too small to comfortably lay in, so I'll need to try upgrading.

If Pumpkin's temps and humidity are good, then it might just be a waiting game - and keeping an eye on her behavior. If she does manage to let you handle her, maybe trying to stroke her belly as she walks could help oviposition?
    GARGS: ECHO. DELTA. CHARLIE.
    SPOCK the Hypostomus plecostomus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to revasaurus For This Useful Post:

Lucia (08-15-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I am just so nervous about it...
    Does Echo continue to lay eggs? And from when did you start counting the 60 days?
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

It is certainly nerve-racking! And egg-binding is nothing to mess around with, obviously. My vet only took one x-ray, because Echo managed to lay perfectly still, and it cost $45 - but it did give me peace of mind. Perhaps setting a timeline for yourself/Pumpkin? If you don't see any eggs within xx amount of time, maybe a vet visit would be good?

I believe so, as I can feel the little bulges of eggs on her sides again and she's been eating ridiculously the past week -- though, in all fairness, she's always had a huge appetite. And I actually put Delta and Echo together once I got Delta up to a weight I was comfortable with (he's always been smaller/slow grower) and when I noticed her becoming more gravid-like I went back into my planner and started counting from the date I'd written down. It was exactly 56 days that she retained the eggs total.
    GARGS: ECHO. DELTA. CHARLIE.
    SPOCK the Hypostomus plecostomus

Thanks

Pumpkin had an X-ray about two months ago, when I already thought she had eggs or might be constipated. Turns out it was a mild case of constipation (treated with soaks and a high fiber diet), but this time I think it is really eggs. Her belly also feels different - not one hard lump.

I actually talked to my vet about Pumpkin today - while I was there for another appointment with my male crestie who still is a very picky eater and slightly underweight after a long-term parasite treatment. So my geckos certainly see the vet if necessary. Our vet clinic might make me customer of the year pretty soon ;-).

I am a bit nervous because I will be on vacation next week, and I just hope Pumpkin decides to lay her eggs before that.