Thread: New to Crested geckos

Thanks

Default New to Crested geckos

Hello everyone,

I just got my first crested gecko today and was hoping to have some questions about housing and lighting answered as I'm slightly confused . I read that adults need 20 gallons so would that mean the exo terra 18x18x18 would work as long as he has things to climb? He is currently in a 10 gallon tank but he's going to need a bigger one soon. In addition to size, what is the best type of bedding to use? I just got a bag of what they used in the pet store but I'm finding it difficult to keep the humidity levels up . Do some types of bedding help with that more than others? I would like something more natural looking if possible but if something else is better I will go with it. Also, I am in need of some decorations, any suggestions would be very much appreciated .

Okay, on to lighting. What type of day and night time light do they need? From my understanding, the low 70s are okay for night so he currently has a heat lamp to keep the temps at 75-80 during the day but I'm unsure I have the right sort of lighting. I'm having a hard time finding a direct answer.

Also, I was wondering if he could or should be housed with another gecko. A few sources I have read said it's possible while others have said no if they are male.

Overall, seems to be doing okay, eating, drinking and climbing things but I want to make sure he's getting everything he needs. I'm so excited to have him.

Thanks

I wouldnt house 2 together unless necessary as they might be male and female and breed. For substrate i use eco earth and it works great. For decor i just use lots of fake plants and an exo terra bendy vine. I use a 12x12x18 which is a ten gallon that can work fine. Make sure you have a hide and i also use a bottle cap as a water dish. Its not necessary but i just have it incase he is really thirsty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Christylauren For This Useful Post:

Tailless (08-15-2017)

Thanks

How much does your gecko weigh?

Don't house two together. Even if both are female, they can fight, and it can be fatal. They are solitary animals, and don't require company.

Cresties like height, so an 18x18x24 would be ideal for one adult. An 18x18x18 would probably be "ok", but not ideal.

Temps between 65-80 are perfect. I use 13W or 26W UVB100 lights for several hours a day; it's questionable as to whether they need the UVB, but I use it just in case. I have a canopy light on my Exo Terra, set on a timer. What type of heat lamp do you have, and what type of holder do you have it in? Do you have a good thermometer/hygrometer?

You can use Eco Earth if you want a natural look, if your gecko is over 20 grams. Smaller than that, and he's better off on paper towels, so as not to cause impaction if he accidentally swallows some of it. Mist twice a day.

I use fake plants in my terrarium. You can get some very realistic-looking ones at craft stores and thrift shops (wash well before use). If you want a bioactive terrarium, others will have to help you with that.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Good to know about the aggression. I got him because he was being aggressive towards others. Thought it might be a space issue but makes sense if they are solitary.

Okay, I will look into those. The lamp isn't anything fancy probably the most basic kind that can be bought but it seems to do a good job and it doesn't get too hot. I was being paranoid and checked it every hour for several hours after it was set up. It did not go past the high 70s. The thermometer/hygrometer do work very well and seem to be fairly accurrate.

Scale should be in in a few days. I don't think he's fully grown yet but he missing his tail so he will weigh a little less than he would is he had it. I'm trying to leave him alone as much as possible at the moment because he seemed pretty worked up last night. Seems to be a lot more relaxed after a night of running and jumping around and eating almost all his food but he still probably shouldn't be handled very much yet. I'm just misting 2x and making sure his food and water stay clean. Right now he's on a bedding that is too big for him to swallow as it's something I was worried about. Would a mix of the bark, eco earth, and some moss work for some variety if he's the right size?

Yeah, probably will be using fake plants with maybe 1-2 real ones if I can figure out how to keep a plant alive xD.

Thanks

i use paper towels, so will let someone else advise you on best substrate or mix.

You are right not to handle him very much right now. Usually two weeks is a good settle-in time.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0