Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT! Air Conditioning Broke! Crestie too Hot?

Thanks

Default URGENT! Air Conditioning Broke! Crestie too Hot?

So I adopted a crested gecko today, and when I got home from getting her, my mom told me our air conditioning just broke!!
    Right now the gecko's Exo Terra is 78F. Should I take the gecko to my dad's house until the air is fixed? The temp is going up to 82F tomorrow
    If I do need to take her to my dad's, how do I safely transport the Exo Terra?

Thanks

82 F should still be fine as long as the gecko has access to water. Do you have a moist hide, like a hide with damp moss in it? If not, you can quickly make one from a plastic box like an empty yoghurt cup with a hole in the lid, and moist paper towels inside.

I also recommend "cold packs" based on coconut oil. Simply fill virgin coconut oil in ziplock bags (better two bags inside each other to avoid leaks), and put them in the fridge until solid. Then put the pack in your gecko's tank. The coconut oil will stay at 76 F until it is fully melted. It works like ice cubes, only at gecko-safe temperatures. You can also use frozen water bottles around your gecko tank, but I would not let the gecko get in direct contact with the ice.

If you need to transport the gecko to your dad's you can get a cooler box or bag. I use coconut oil packs inside my vet bag, but other cold packs or refrigerated water bottles will do as well, as long as you do not get the inside of the bag too cold and the gecko can not touch anything freezing cold. How long is the trip to your dad's?
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Try the ice packs and if they don't work, is move her to your dads. I agreee it's the way to transport her.

Congrats if finally getting her!! Can't wait to see pictures. I know you'll make a great gecko parent.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    82 F should still be fine as long as the gecko has access to water. Do you have a moist hide, like a hide with damp moss in it? If not, you can quickly make one from a plastic box like an empty yoghurt cup with a hole in the lid, and moist paper towels inside.

I also recommend "cold packs" based on coconut oil. Simply fill virgin coconut oil in ziplock bags (better two bags inside each other to avoid leaks), and put them in the fridge until solid. Then put the pack in your gecko's tank. The coconut oil will stay at 76 F until it is fully melted. It works like ice cubes, only at gecko-safe temperatures. You can also use frozen water bottles around your gecko tank, but I would not let the gecko get in direct contact with the ice.

If you need to transport the gecko to your dad's you can get a cooler box or bag. I use coconut oil packs inside my vet bag, but other cold packs or refrigerated water bottles will do as well, as long as you do not get the inside of the bag too cold and the gecko can not touch anything freezing cold. How long is the trip to your dad's?
    Thanks for your help! The trip to my dad's is 20 minutes. I called him though and he suggested putting the tank in the basement at my mom's instead. Do you think that is a good idea? We don't know how many days it will be until a guy can come to fix our air conditioning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    Try the ice packs and if they don't work, is move her to your dads. I agreee it's the way to transport her.

Congrats if finally getting her!! Can't wait to see pictures. I know you'll make a great gecko parent.
    Thank you very much! I will definetly post some photos of her! Would moving her into the basement at my mom's be a good idea?

Thanks

Depends on the weather forecast and how warm your basement gets, but a few days in the lower 80s should not be a problem as long as the gecko is well hydrated and the temperature changes are not abrupt. Just check first if there may be other hazards in the basement, like ants or mold.

If you end up bringing your gecko to your dad, a cooler bag with a cool water bottle and the gecko in a separate plastic container next to it should work.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

If there is no mold or anything that's unsafe in the basement, it should be fine. Basements are usually cooler then the upstairs/main floor. As long as it doesn't get over 80 degrees, she should be fine. Like Lucia said, make sure she's well hydrated. You can try the ice packs while she is upstairs first to see if that helps.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Depends on the weather forecast and how warm your basement gets, but a few days in the lower 80s should not be a problem as long as the gecko is well hydrated and the temperature changes are not abrupt. Just check first if there may be other hazards in the basement, like ants or mold.

If you end up bringing your gecko to your dad, a cooler bag with a cool water bottle and the gecko in a separate plastic container next to it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    If there is no mold or anything that's unsafe in the basement, it should be fine. Basements are usually cooler then the upstairs/main floor. As long as it doesn't get over 80 degrees, she should be fine. Like Lucia said, make sure she's well hydrated. You can try the ice packs while she is upstairs first to see if that helps.
    Thanks guys! And yes, I have a Tupperware container with moist sphagnum moss that is a nest box. It doesn't have the lid on it though because I don't have a exacto knife to cut a hole in the lid yet. I want to put her in the basement, but I am worried my cat will watch the gecko and stress her out.
    Instead of doing the coconut oil cold packs, can I set an actual freezer pack on the wire mesh?

Thanks

A little while with the day time temp in the very low 80's will not hurt as long as there is plenty of water and humidity, and your animals isn't sick. I've dealt with this every summer for years and my guy is perfectly fine. I make sure to cool the downstairs down at night to the low 70s, then close up the downstairs windows and pull the blinds to keep it cool as long as possible during the day. The rare few times it goes over 85 during the day, I put ice on the screen lid and let it melt and drip cold water into the cage. But I make sure he's not sleeping where it drips. I also keep an eye on his lighting, and if the temp hits about 75, I turn the lights off manually. I know temps in the low 80s are stressful, and much higher can be dangerous. If I did get stuck in a heat wave that I couldn't compensate by cooling down at night and shutting up the place, I'd arrange to board him.

Oh, if you're worried about your cat stalking her, you could temporarily cover the outsides of the cage with paper. Also good for most any time an animal seems to be getting stressed by what's going on outside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GlowingGecko View Post
    Oh, if you're worried about your cat stalking her, you could temporarily cover the outsides of the cage with paper. Also good for most any time an animal seems to be getting stressed by what's going on outside.
    I'd be more worried about the top of the tank. It sounds like it is the typical exo terra with screen top. There are multiple stories on this forum about these screen lids caving in under a cat's weight. It usually does not end well for the crestie. So I'd say with moderate heat you are better off with ice packs than risking a cat encounter in the basement.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

CrestedCritters (08-15-2017),GlowingGecko (08-14-2017)