Default Breeding Ban - comments?

Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

It's a great idea for cats and dogs (depending on the area), and maybe a few other furry pets (and maybe birds). We had a similar law in a few cities where I live, but it didn't last long. But I don't think it should apply to all pets. I'm not sure about in other states and countries, but at least here, there aren't any official reptile rescues. At least not ones like cat and dog rescues who make sure the animal is healthy again before adopting it out. Some stores are just awful and shouldn't be selling any animals- rescued or not. But there are definitely some reputable ones. I do like the basis of the idea though, especially considering so many reptiles end up in bad homes and then are rehomed 5+ times while breeders continue producing more. Maybe we just need more regulations, but not a ban, depending on the species.

Thanks

Banning intentionally bred mammals makes sense, but reptiles and arachnids? What? Either whoever made this law is really ignorant or didn't actually think of those sorts of pets at all when they said "ban all commercially bred pets".

Thanks

The idea is okay but with larger animals like cats and dogs and animals that live a longer life span. Smaller animals or rodents who dont live long maybe not. Same for reptiles i wouldnt put a ban on them, yes most reptiles live long, but they are very suseptiable to disease that can end that life really quick even with the best of care. I dont think it will go through, if it does im sure it will be heavily modified?
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

Okay...I'm gonna start something...
    Humans think waaaay too much of themselves..Ban them, Ban them all. Well, not really...But I constantly see bad human behavior that makes we want to take some folks' privileges away.
    If you've followed these forums for years, you've seen a lot of people that get a gecko, get excited and suddenly..."I'M A BREEDER!!!". They scour Craigslist, amass a collection, breed indescriminately, then a year later..."GETTING OUT OF THE HOBBY SALE!!!"....Over and over and over. Leaving us with a glut of animals.
    I know this may not sound related, but it's absolutely the same thing(at least in my head). I think some people are unable to understand that we're talking about living creatures. It's easier to visualize with dogs and cats, but that doesn't make some people more responsible. They still get rid of them in a year or so. More people need to understand that when you adopt something that's alive, it's for life.
    We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Thanks

By "commercially bred" - do they mean just for pet stores, or do they mean places like Josh's Frogs, Pangea, or other places like that, who are experienced specialized breeders?

I can definitely understand it for cats and dogs, and if it shuts down puppy mills, I am all for it. But for smaller pets, I'm not sure that rescue/shelter is going to be a viable option. So many kids start their love affair with - and learn responsibility for - animals with an early small pet - birds, gerbils, hamsters, turtles, etc. If they are not available, will kids go back to catching and taking animals out of the wild?

Also - out of curiosity - where do the pet stores get their reptiles from?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

I think it certainly needs to be more specific. The way it's coming across now is it's very broad with no specifics of what one can and can't do. Like stated above, what about specialized stores like Pangea, Josh's Frogs, and stores run by reputable breeders that focus of their animals? If they were in that area, would they also be banned from selling their animals? The people who wrote this need to rethink it a little and specify a LOT. As of right now, I don't much care for it, specifically for those reasons. It's all in the details. I certainly agree with preventing chain stores from selling animals. But locally owned businesses of good rep? The "mom and pop" shops as they're called? Stores owned and ran by reputable breeders? Those people shouldn't be banned in any way.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

As far as I understand (I live near Boston) this just affects pet stores in the city of Cambridge. To the best of my knowledge, the only pet stores in Cambridge are the big box pet stores (and I'd really rather not see them selling reptiles to be honest). As far as I know, this does not affect individuals who live in the city and breed privately.

Aliza