Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Oils with Gecko

Thanks

Default Essential Oils with Gecko

Okay, so I have awful allergies and usually can't smell or breath out of my nose. My crestie, Zilla, is in my bedroom, so I was wondering if I could use a humidifier with essential oils while I am sleeping . The main oils I use are lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus, and lavender. Can I use these? And are there certain oils that I can or can't use? I know crested geckos were just recently discovered, so do we know for sure yet? Thanks!
    Crested Gecko 0.0.1 Zilla

Thanks

I have no idea. I also use essential oils, so Ill be watching this thread lol thanks. What kind do you use? It'll be easier to answer if we know, as Walmart essential oils are crap and are bad for em.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I really can't answer your question, however I know most essential oils aren't even safe for cats and dogs. There are a few that are though, and it might be the same for geckos. I wouldn't use them until you know for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalArk View Post
    I really can't answer your question, however I know most essential oils aren't even safe for cats and dogs. There are a few that are though, and it might be the same for geckos. I wouldn't use them until you know for sure.
    I agree. Young Living is safe for dogs and cats (and Pigs) that I know of, because that's what I use. But if what you use is not safe for dogs and cats, I would assume it's not safe for geckos either.

Edit: I knew I seen something about oils on here before- http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...Essential+oils
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

I wouldnt keep it in the same room. Some geckos die when people with potent perfume come near them. I dont even go near mine if i used essential oil on my skin. I wait hours later until its gone and still wash my hands. My wifey sells the stuff, we love it but the geckos do not and its difficult to tell which are safe or deadly.

Thanks

Any kind of perfume or scented stuff is bad for them. It irritates their lungs which can cause repertory infections so I'd only use the humidifier in another room.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

You guys say perfume and scented stuff... what if its not perfume and 100% NATURAL? Let's use lavender for example- it's not artificially Scented, it's is 100% pure. Straight from the pant to the bottle.?
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Even some flower scents are harmful to them. Maybe try it out in a different room and bring a gecko in and see how they react. If they get all sneezy and/or start wiping their nose on stuff then it's iritating them. If not after like 10 minutes if it on then you're good to go. They don't encounter lavender in the wild so the new smell may be irritating but if it's 100% natural you can try it and see how they react
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    You guys say perfume and scented stuff... what if its not perfume and 100% NATURAL? Let's use lavender for example- it's not artificially Scented, it's is 100% pure. Straight from the pant to the bottle.?
    100% NATURAL doesn't always mean 100% SAFE. Arsenic is 100% natural - so is snake venom - neither of which is good for humans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    I agree. Young Living is safe for dogs and cats (and Pigs) that I know of, because that's what I use. But if what you use is not safe for dogs and cats, I would assume it's not safe for geckos either.

Edit: I knew I seen something about oils on here before- http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...Essential+oils
    No, Young Living is NOT safe for dogs and cats (though dogs in general tolerate EOs better than cats - EOs are unequivocally toxic to cats). MLM brands like DoTerra and Young Living frequently claim that their brand of oils are safe to do all kinds of dangerous things with (such as applying undiluted or ingesting) because they're "100% pure" or "therapeutic grade", but these are trademarked marketing terms that mean nothing at all in reality and unfortunately reps for these companies often give out very unsafe information about essential oil use.

The main problem with cats (and ferrets) that makes EOs so toxic to them is that they lack an enzyme required to break down/process certain intrinsic components of all essential oils. The brand doesn't matter at all - they can't process any of them, it's a fundamental incompatibility. When it comes to small rodents as well as reptiles, it's a little different - to my mind, the main concern is respiratory. If we know not to keep these animals on cedar shavings because of the danger of inhaling the cedar oils, why would we expose them to a diffused essential oil which is much more concentrated/potent, even when dispersed through a diffuser? We also don't necessarily know every single plant in general that might be toxic to these individual species - even in people, anyone with an allergy to a plant shouldn't use the oil from that plant. Some oils aren't safe for use with certain age groups (for example, eucalyptus can dangerously slow the breathing of small children or infants), or with pregnant people. There are a lot of contraindications to essential oil use even for people and we don't even know them all in humans, let alone exotic pets. I will always play it safe and keep my oils far away from my animals and I do not diffuse them or use cleaning products with EOs in them for these reasons.

I would also not put EOs in a normal humidifier, since long term they can and will wreck the humidifier. A diffuser is different and made to tolerate the potent oils. If you want them nearby while you're sleeping without diffusing into the entire room, you can fill a small cloth bag with like.... fabric scraps or cotton wool or something and add a few drops of oil to the fabric inside and tuck it in your pillow, maybe. That way it's near your face but not filling your whole room.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatFloatingCat For This Useful Post:

Sareena (08-21-2017)