Thread: Tips on giving your gecko a shot?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Tips on giving your gecko a shot?

Hey all,

My crestie Bella had surgery on sunday and was prescribed antibiotics via injection for a month. They showed us how to do it and made it seem really easy. They gave her the first dose in the office to show us how.

It took us about 5 tries to get her the first time on Wednesday. Today has been a feat and she's been fighting us tooth and nail.

I've searched and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Any recommendations will be appreciated!
    crested geckos 1.2.0 Buddy, Annabella, Olive
    Cat 0.1.0 Bailey

Thanks

ppl often will use either a clean credit card or a q-tip with the cotton cut off to slip under their lips and open their mouths P: I wish I could offer more for you.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    ppl often will use either a clean credit card or a q-tip with the cotton cut off to slip under their lips and open their mouths P: I wish I could offer more for you.

Thanks! But it's an injection. We have to put it in her leg ☹️. I wish it was an oral antibiotics bc it's so much easier. Her pain meds were oral and she took it like a champ. She haaates the needle and shakes it out on us
    crested geckos 1.2.0 Buddy, Annabella, Olive
    Cat 0.1.0 Bailey

Thanks

ooh i see. dang yeah idk about the shot @_@ hopefully someone else will pop in who's had to deal with that
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

Maybe try doing while she's sleeping? I have no idea though. Good luck!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

She's going to struggle no matter what. It may not be due to it hurting, but more due to having to be held so restrictively. There really isn't any way around it. Get everything totally ready and set up before you get her out. Hold her still (try wrapping in a washcloth or the like), go in, press steady and as quickly as you can. If you miss on the first try, try again. After three tries, give her a break for a few hours. I've given a lot of shots over the years. You'll get better with practice. Unfortunately, you can't give it in the tail on a gecko (assuming yours has a tail to begin with), but on the plus side, they don't have hard scales so you don't have to get it in between the scales to do it. It's just practice.