Thread: large cage for crested gecko

Thanks

Question large cage for crested gecko

Ive found an excellent deal for a second hand 90 x 45 x 90 exo terra but im worries that when i get a crestie it will struggle to find its food. If this cage is okay im not planning on putting the gecko in until it is atleast 15g and i will feed it insects outside the terrarium. If this is okay can i have some ideas on how to fill it and possibly some pictures on how you guys have set up similar enclosures. (I do not want to do a bioactive setup)

Edit - will this size enclosure possibly upset or stress out the gecko - can i just have some general information on this

I am also planning on using aquarium silicone 1 to adhere styrofoam hiding places to the back of the cage as well as creating an elevated feeding dish out of Styrofoam and sticking it with the silicone, will this hold and is it a good idea? I plan on making some sort of ledge system with a feeding area on each one as well as caves made from styrofoam all stuck on the background with silicone

Thanks

I think it would be fine for an adult (15g or bigger). You might want to put in a couple of feeding stations to start out with, one high and one low. The silicone should work provided the ledge is not too heavy.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

Charliehayes_ (07-18-2017)

Thanks

I agree. I got my girl at 14g and she is in an identical size terrarium. I placed a feeding dish on both sides, one high and one low. Sje has lived happily in there for two years now. I recomend the mini magnetic ones from Pangae for food dishes.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

My TAD, at 31g, is a little too big for the mini-size ledge, but I use the double-cup with an extra (3) magnet, and those work great! Highly recommend.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

All I would say is get everything installed and glued on and let the silicone cure for several days at least, in a well ventilated area. The off-gassing is really nasty and can give you a whopping headache, but once it's done, there's no problem. I'm in the design stages of making some custom ledges for my dragon and snakes. I will be getting a second feed mushroom magnetic ledge before I move my guy into the big cage, so he'll be able to find food easier when he moves in. I like the magnetic ones because you can remove them to clean. Sherlock is big on "painting" his food all over the ledge and glass around his dishes. He's an artist! LOL. Have fun being creative!!! I'm totally in love with custom building stuff now.