Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi Bazzle!

Thanks

This is Magoo, she's a special one and came with Bazzle. Magoo is a less than perfect looking crested gecko and will never breed. For one she's bald, and two she has extra toes lol.
    I only took one photo of her, I'll have to grab more.
    They are adorable! I also have a female crestie with two extra toes, but she has a totally awesome personality. If I got into breeding cresties one day, I think I would still breed her. From all I have read, there are no known health problems associated with polydactylism, and she is probably my most active and smartest gecko, aside from being a stunning full pinstripe.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucia View Post
    They are adorable! I also have a female crestie with two extra toes, but she has a totally awesome personality. If I got into breeding cresties one day, I think I would still breed her. From all I have read, there are no known health problems associated with polydactylism, and she is probably my most active and smartest gecko, aside from being a stunning full pinstripe.
    Its a common thing with dogs as well, it's just not attractive and really just lowers the monetary value of said gecko. However it wouldn't be very responsible as a breeder to spread poor genetics, we as keepers should remember that a lot of these animals in 25 years may only exist in the pet trade and should do our part to preserve the correct genetics to the best of our ability. As much as I want to breed Magoo because of her personality I realized it would be selfish, because in the end I'm feeding my own self interests and not that of an entire species. Just my two cents.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eviltoaster88 For This Useful Post:

Lovelyanddekstest (07-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltoaster88 View Post
    Its a common thing with dogs as well, it's just not attractive and really just lowers the monetary value of said gecko. However it wouldn't be very responsible as a breeder to spread poor genetics, we as keepers should remember that a lot of these animals in 25 years may only exist in the pet trade and should do our part to preserve the correct genetics to the best of our ability. As much as I want to breed Magoo because of her personality I realized it would be selfish, because in the end I'm feeding my own self interests and not that of an entire species. Just my two cents.
    I agree. It's common in cats also, but people purposely breed cats for poly. It's ridicules.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

Well, I don't want to turn your thread into a discussion about breeding ethics, and I am not a breeder myself, but my impression as an outside observer is that there are quite illogical double standards. Nobody thinks twice about breeding geckos with other structural abnormalities like extra crests on the back or on the sides, because we think it looks attractive. I also have serious reservations about breeding (and buying) lilly whites, as there are reported serious health issues when you breed two lilly whites with each other, like unviable offspring or possible neurological problems. These could likely be linked to "poor genetics", and I would be much more worried about passing on these genes. But you get stunning white geckos that you can sell for top $$$ (thinking about feeding self interests!).

We also feed our self interests every time we choose to breed for a "spotless extreme harlequin whiteout whatnot ...", instead of a perfectly healthy buckskin. I would even go as far as saying that breeding any species of animal outside of an actual conservation program exclusively serves human self-interests, either by creating animals that we find visually appealing, that make good companions, or animals that produce more milk, larger eggs etc.
    Personally, I think that genetic variety is more important than looks, and some harmless mutations can even contribute to keeping the gene pool healthy, given the limited population all our crested geckos originate from.

But you certainly have some nice and healthy looking geckos in your collection (Bazzle is stunning!), and enough other breeders to choose from. But I would not consider it unethical to breed Magoo, either, as long as she does not show any health problems and her offspring are not expected to have a reduced quality of life. I would love to see some people breed geckos for "personality" (and feeding the human self interest to have 'cuddly' pet geckos ;-)).

BTW, Moon Valley Reptiles has a great article on the subject: http://www.moonvalleyreptiles.com/ed...crested-geckos
    Last edited by Lucia; 07-19-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Yeah like I said just my two cents. I don't and can't force my views on anyone, to each their own right? Lol.

Super agree with the multi crest. You can see that "Chester" has extra dorsal scales. But I've been shopping around for a potential partner for Bazzle next year and I keep coming across females that either have multicreast, breaks in the dorsal scales, or just really stubby dorsal scales. Shouldn't be so hard to find a red patternless with white portholes and a full dorsal crest. Lol. Maybe I'm too picky.

As far as conservation efforts go, it's hard to put all animals in such programs and unfortunately there are loads of small caliber animals like reptiles and insects that don't get put into programs. There is a cave roach that only exists today because of the insect pet hobby and is completely extinct in the wild. Not too many people concerned about loosing roaches I'm sure. Lol