Thread: Hatchling questions!

Thanks

Default Hatchling questions!

Hey! so I just had my first ever hatchling hatch out lol and I have a few simple questions.

1. do I keep the enclosure minimal with decor?
    2. when do I start feeding live?
    3. At what weight is a good time to send them to a new home?
    4. when do they lose their baby red?

Thankyou

meant to post in the main forum, ignore or answer up to you
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

1) for first couple of weeks I keep very minimal as they walk there food everywhere & I mean everywhere. I use really small critter keepers until about 3-4 weeks then upgrade to the size up until 8 weeks. If they are with me longer I would upgrade tank size again at this point.
    I use kitchen roll on floor I use piece of either toilet roll or kitchen roll tube if they want to hide they can.
    I used juice carton lids as smaller than mild bottle lids flat side up for them to eat off of.
    Try to keep things disposable.
    At about 2 weeks I usually add a small plant to the tank usually the ones designed for small fish tanks as are very washable & cheap & safe.
    2) I wait until 2 -3 weeks to introduce live feed via tweezers but some don't seem to take until 6 weeks.
    If they are slow to feed on complete diet then I would be inclined to get them settled on complete diet before introducing live food
    3) I don't move geckos on until at least 8 weeks & they are feeding well, handling well, pooping well etc. weight can be quite variable
    4) ? What do you mean by Red as not all geckos hatch red??
    5) (point of my own) They shed quite frequently so watch for this & they can seem to get quite defensive when first shedding as don't think they are really sure what's happening, it is quite strange right & must be a little frightening for them.
    Good luck with your hatchling.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0
    Chahoua. 0:0:1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

Neonprint (07-12-2017)

Thanks

Okay so, its not even registering as 1 gram, when should I be worried about it not eating, how long should I wait to see poop? If I dont see poop within a week of hatching should I hand feed with like an eyedropper or something?
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

Hi everyone does things slightly different that they find what works for them.
    Personally I want to know my hatchling are eating within 24-48 hours. If I don't see them eat within this time period I will start to assist. I will place them in my hands & using cotton bud with food on placed in front of their mouth. Give then a little time they will start to lick it but be patient. Then I move back into tank with food lid placed in front of them so they can't fail to see it not all take straight away but within 48hours with any luck they will have done. I do this before & after work each day for the first week or so (feeding x2 daily) at least then move to daily in the evening. I again would expect a poop by 48-72 hours after I know they have eaten. If you know they have eaten they will poop some may take a little longer.
    You will have to find what works for you & how you can fit it in to your daily schedule. As I said people do things what work for them & their hatchling.
    In my experience I have to say cresties can be more tricky to get to eat initially than gargoyle s who tend to be little piggies.
    Occasionally if I really can't get them to eat I will very carefully with a cotton bud place a tiny little bit of food on one side of their mouth being careful not to cover any of his nostrils. It is such a relief once you know they have eaten!
    I would not be hand feeding them after 1 week in as I want them to eat independently & not reliant upon me for hand feeding.
    This works for me & my hatchlings.
    Good luck
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0
    Chahoua. 0:0:1