Thread: Omg Phantom dropped his tail!!!

Thanks

Default Omg Phantom dropped his tail!!!

Walked into my room and saw Phantom (those of you who don't know him, he's my first baby gecko, and now my first frogbutt) just chilling on a basket next to his enclosure, without a tail!! It's a nice clean drop. I checked out his cage and couldn't find any way to escape. He is currently in a long, rather then tall tank, so what I'm thinking is he lifted up the screen and it slammed shut on his tail. But idk how he lifted it up! Omg I cried when I seen he dropped his tail. I'll still love him, but damn! And I can't find his tail anywhere.

Edit: pulled his cage out to do a complete thorough search, and low and behold, his tail! It was sticking to the bottom outside side of his tank, and I must've missed it before. About half an inch of the tip looks crushed and peeled. Skin is pulled back and it is completely flat. So that just proves my theory- he did in fact lift the screen up! I usually keep a heavy weight on top, but the last couple days I left it off. I figured, a 20g gecko won't be able to lift this screen. ( I mean, it did have weight to it....) but I think not lol. Good thing he is so calm though, otherwise I wouldn't have found him. The weird thing is though, just last night, 24 hours ago, I was looking at his tail, it was nice and thick and perfect...😭😭😭. I'm so sad lmfao..
    Last edited by Lovelyanddekstest; 07-08-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks

I'm so sorry! I hope the little guy is okay and won't try to escape again lol. On the bright side though, he'll have a cute frog butt!

Thanks

Thanks Zilla! Yeah,I've always wanted a frog butt, but not one that dropped it on my watch, one that I've raised up for so long. Oh well. It happens to the best of us.

Thanks

Thanks

Ouch, that looks like a bad squeeze! Glad Phantom is OK, and that he 'only' got his tail caught under the lid, not his neck, and that you found him before he got lost. I am always surprised how strong crested geckos are if they really want to get out from or under somewhere, or decide to redecorate their tanks, LOL.

I feel the same about tailless geckos: I would like to have one, but would not want for mine to drop their tails (I hope they are listening).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

I have two frog butts, but thats how I got them, I would be so scared if one of mine dropped their tail
    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Thanks

Isn't it almost inevitable that they will drop their tails somewhere, sometime during their lifetimes? The ones that don't must be pretty lucky! I'm sorry Phantom lost his. But good that you love him, either way. Lucia is right, so glad it was just his tail, and not his neck or a leg!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

yes Im so glad it was his tail! I made sure to secore the top very very tight. I cant even lift it this time. But yeah, most likely all will drop their tail sooner or later. However I do have one gec who, literally wraps his tail around my finger then jumps, and he still hass it lol. Yep Ill never stop loving em.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

Thanks

So when I weighed Phantom right after his tail drop- he weighed 21ish grams. Today, he weighs 33! I'm just a little over two months, he's gained over ten grams. He's always been a fast grower. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/EePEI
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-20-2017)