Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leachie on the loose

Thanks

Default Leachie on the loose

Hello all!
    I just realized that my leachie has excaped. I'm typically really good at checking everyone before bed and feeling bad that I overlooked his latch and he got out.

Anyways...my question is, could a half pound leachie walk on the celing? I worry because right outside my rep room is an atic fan, with a big enough gap. I'd rather not go climbing around the atic if I dont have to.

Ive search his room top to bottom and going through the rest of the house. Any other suggestions on finding him would be helpful.

Thanks so much!!

Thanks

I do hope you manage to find him quite quickly.
    I don't have a leachie but neither my Chahoua or gargoyles can walk up flat/smooth walls or ceilings come to that. Glass & Mirrors yes painted flat walls for my guys no.
    If the ceiling is not flat & there's stuff he could put his claws into I guess it might be possible but I think quite a slim shot of him being able to do that.
    However I don't have a leachie so if someone has & knows different please add own update/ message.
    Good luck in finding him.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear that your chahuoua can't make it on walls too well. I've seen mime manage vertical walls ok, but hoping his weight won't let him go on celings. I'll keep looking low and hope I find him before the cats do.

Thanks again

Thanks

Any update on your leachie?
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

Find him? When I got my first snakes, I would have one out before I went to sleep to play with. One night I fell asleep with him out. Woke up a little while later and freaked. The reason, the house I was renting the upstairs apartment from, had really big gaped old fashioned covers on the heating vents on the wall by the floor. Plenty big enough for my snake to get into. I tore the place apart. Finally found him, in the closet. Somehow, he squeezed under the little gap in at the bottom of the door. It was by no means the last time I had an escape. Try going into the kitchen at 2 am to get a drink and stepping on a little snake that escaped. Except for one time, every time I've had an escape: lizard, snake, or rodent, they have always ended up inside or under something I didn't think they could squeeze into. So looking in the little tiny gaps, behind things, and under things within about a 10 ft radius of where I last knew they were, is where I've found them. I would have to agree that given your leachie's weight, it probably can't do a smooth ceiling. But...gap you think isn't possible...definitely worth checking. Also, consider supervising the cats hunting..they might find him and you can scoop him up before there is a problem. That's how I found an escaped hamster once. So...find him?

Thanks

Update...still no leachie. One of the cats is a good hunter who has alerted me to mice before, but this time he seems unaware of anything, which worries me. I put out food and water all around and it hasn't been touched and no stools found. Even played some mating calls hoping he will see if he will come home to see who is in his territory.

Its an old house, with the big vents and lots of nooks..I hope hes too big for them, but ill check. All the doors have big gaps, so all closets are a possibility too...which is even more fun. Thanks for the suggestion of what I think is too small... I'll be sure to check in those spots. Glad you found your guys! Gives me some hope.

Thanks

Keep looking!!! Quite a few times I've gone...."How the h#ll did you fit in there, get in there?"

"No gap is too small, and no place is too weird"., is now my standard search mantra. If it's on the cool side, it is more likely that he hasn't gone too far. When I've deliberately let a pet out to run around, supervised, they look around a little bit and seem to go "this place is big and scary, I need to hide." Then they go after a nearby gap between things, or into something. Which explains why I normally find an escape within about 10 feet of where they started. The plus side with reptiles over rodents, if it's cool, they slow down and don't move as much. It helps if you've totally torn through a spot, like inside a closet, didn't find anything, to block off that gap if you can. That way you know that spot is clear and he can't move to that spot when you're not looking.

Don't give up!!!!!

Thanks

Any luck finding him yet?
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0

Thanks

My husband just found him!!!! He was laying on bottom step in the basement! I don't know how he managed to get from the second story to the basement. He seems to be just fine, but a little thinner. I gave him a little honey and he ate abut half teaspoon of pangea and I'm letting him rest in his cage. I'll get him out tonight and hand feed him some more.

I can't begin to tell you all how thankful I am for all your support, suggestions and encouragement!!!! We are so glad to have our little "Lychee" home. Thank you all so much!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swierke For This Useful Post:

TAD (07-16-2017),Treebiscuit (07-16-2017)

Thanks

Wow that is great news.
    I am so glad you have managed to find him.
    It's so horrible when they go missing I think it's the unknown that makes things worse.
    If only he could talk I'm sure he have so story to tell.
    Hope he makes a speedy recovery.
    Well done for finding him.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.4.0
    Chahoua. 1.1.0