Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to worry? -Not eating

Thanks

Default When to worry? -Not eating

We got our first gargoyle last Thursday, he's still not eating. I've read on numerous places online (including here) that this is normal, but I was wondering when we should worry about it? Anything we can do to encourage him to eat?

Another garg owner told me we had him in too big of an enclosure 12x12x18 and that it sounded like he was too stressed and not finding his food. She said we needed him in a grow out box, so we put him back in the little kritter keeper we brought him home in. What she said made sense but now I wonder if we just prolonged his eating even further by putting him in another unfamiliar enclosure, even though this is a pretty similar setup as to what he was in at the pet store. He is about 10 grams and we have only offered him the pangea and water.

And of course my thermometer and hydrometer are both in the bigger enclosure as they had double sided tape to attach those and I can't move them, I don't like not being able to monitor that stuff.

Last night he didn't come out of his hide at his usual time .... another hour and a half passed and nothing .... we were actually worried he had died , but my daughter ended up moving the hide and he was fine thankfully. His not eating is making me so nervous and worried for him

Name:  phantom.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  88.1 KB

Thanks

He can go up to 3 weeks without eating, and without much concern. The 12x12x18 is probably fine for that size, but you may want to add an extra feeding station or two. He is perfectly normal. You won't see him move much, if at all, during the daylight hours. He will find a favorite spot and look like he always stays there, but he will move around at night while you are sleeping.

I would advise a digital thermometer/hygrometer when you have a chance. Those little stick-on things aren't very accurate, but are better than nothing.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

I agree with TAD. I've had zero luck with digital monitors, and every analog monitor I've had has been very accurate. My crested is named Phantom!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelyanddekstest View Post
    I agree with TAD. I've had zero luck with digital monitors, and every analog monitor I've had has been very accurate. My crested is named Phantom!
    My son was super picky with names for this guy.... but as soon as Phantom came out of my mouth that's all he wanted to call him. Then we got an add from 'Phantom Fireworks' in the mail that day, seemed like a sign

I was hoping to get a second thermometer/hydrometer on payday in a few weeks

So do you think I should leave him in the little cage or put him back in the exo-terra? I feel kind of bad he doesn't have his vine he loved anymore .... it was too big to fit in the little one.

Thanks

What size is the little one? I think he should be fine in the big one. Maybe just add another feeder. I know gargs prefer more cozier homes.

Thanks

What size is the little one? I think he should be fine in the big one. Maybe just add another feeder. I know gargs prefer more cozier homes.
    It's little.... I only got it to bring him home and for him to stay in for 1 day ....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cult...bians/20607984

Thanks

Yeah I know what they re, but they come in different sizes (small, medium, large and x large I think.). If it's a medium/large, it'll be fine for a few grams, but if it's small it's too small, I'd just move him to the big one.

Thanks

I never could find a size on the dang thing, which is why I linked it, but I'd assume small. I'll move him back tonight when he wakes up.

Thanks

You mean the other way around, right??
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Tad-- no. Everyone recommends digital, but they've all failed me. Maybe I just need an extra expensive one..