Thread: Crested Gecko Enclosure Questions

Thanks

Question Crested Gecko Enclosure Questions

Although i'm still wearing down my father for the,"you can get a gecko" blessing, I have done and am continuing to do as much research as possible, since I absolutely refuse to poorly care for this possible pet. My biggest issue with buying the supplies, is the tank. I currently own a 40 gallon Aqueon breeder tank, so is that too much space? I'd have to get a mesh lid, but I'm also curious about keeping it horizontally. I know ideally you want a tall tank, but if I fill it up with plenty of things to climb on such as tubes and artificial plants would it be usable? It's 36x15x16, so the height isn't actually horrible, only a couple inches shorter than the small Exo Terra terrarium. It's currently just my best option, as housing that looks nice can get a bit pricey and i'd like to put some more use into my nice tank.

Thanks

do you mean that when it's flipped on its side it's 36 x 15 x 16, or is that its size when it's laying horizontally?
    if the length is 36 inches while it's set down normally (as in horizontally), it's actually a great size for an adult gecko. however, if you're getting a gecko that's under 6 months, i'd probably keep it in something a little bit smaller at first.

edit: i just reread your post. i somehow didn't see that you meant you wanted to keep it horizontally! there are plenty of people who keep their geckos in a tank that's horizontal, and yours sounds like it would be fine, but i'd always recommend having it vertically. that way your gecko has plenty of climbing space!

Thanks

It's 36 x 15 x 16 while laying down normally, 36 inches tall while laying on it's side. I planned on keeping it horizontally because I was worried about it being stable, but it turns out it'll be perfect on it's side! I've found a screen lid that should fit, the only problem being I'd have to take the whole thing (lid) off anytime I want to access the interior part of the tank. If you have any tips on cutting into the screen to add a door, I would appreciate it, but thank you so much for what you've already told me!

Thanks

36" for height would be great for an adult! If your gecko will be smaller, maybe you can divide the tank up until he or she reaches about 15-20 grams? (Go by weight, not age. They all grow at different rates.)
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Thanks! I've already been looking at adult cresties, to avoid food issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oppressivewombat For This Useful Post:

TAD (07-09-2017)

Thanks

I kept my breeding female in a 40 gallon breeder tank and she had plenty of height. It is fine to keep it in it's normal orientation for a crested gecko.