Thread: A weird question

Thanks

Default A weird question

If you have a female leaf tailed gecko do people ever send them to other people to breed with a male and send them back to you? I want to get a leaf tail gecko and if it is a female is this a possible thing. I won't actually do this I want to know if this is even fathomable. Sorry I just would like to know. I know it is a weird question.

Thanks

I highly doubt it. It will put way to much stress on the gecko.

Thanks

For things like cresteds and Leo's yes. People will ship over a female or someone will ship you a male. You breed then and then send him and half the babies back generally. On a more delicate species like a leaf tail (depending on species) it's just way too stressful unless you have a friend nearby and can just drive over and pick theirs up temporarily.
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thank you for replying I thought of this question when I was looking at older dog classified and someone was wanting to breed his dog with someone else across the US

Thanks

It's common for people to stud out there dogs. Idk about across the us, but yeah.

Thanks

I've thought about this before too. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is my healthy animal getting infected by someone else's animal/caging conditions. The second concern I'd have is shipping stress, some animals do better than others. The third being getting my animal back, and getting part of the clutch or paid. I spend a lot of time, money, and care, getting my new animals healthy and keeping them that way. I don't think most reptiles can have artificial insemination done on them. Lots of mammal, and probably bird breeders, can buy semen and have it shipped overnight to them, or their vet, and then have their female impregnated. I think I remember AI being done on an endangered tortoise at a zoo/preserve, but I can't remember if it worked or not. I'd love to pay for stud service, or put my very nice holdback male dragon out to stud, but for me, the risk of my animal getting sick just isn't worth it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GlowingGecko For This Useful Post:

Roscoe09 (07-10-2017)