Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I recently adopted a Phelsuma grandis

Thanks

Default I recently adopted a Phelsuma grandis

Hey guys, I adopted a giant Madagascar day gecko the other day for my vacant 18x18x24 vivarium. She seems to be pretty healthy. I have a dubia roach colony for my cresties, but I feed the cresties in a separate bare bottom container. This gecko is virtually impossible to handle outside of the vivarium, so when I put the roaches in, they seem to find a nook and disappear. She is EXTREMELY skittish. I am not sure if she was abused or what. I may have to start buying crickets. She does seem to like a mix of the Pangea complete watermelon and mango with the complete fruit mix with insects, but I've read that giant day geckos need live food more than cresties.

and here is a clip of how skittish she is. She almost teleports around, and no I am not trying to grab it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCpf...thVonBernewitz

Thanks

I don't know much about these guys, but what I do know, is that they don't like to be handled. Like I've never seen even a "semi tame" one before. They are more of a display animal. Unfortunately I don't know about food.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

Keeferd (07-01-2017)

Thanks

Yea that's kind of why I got her. She is like the polar opposite of crested geckos. I don't intend to handle it at all. I enjoy watching how active it is during the day. This post is mostly about how I am going to feed her in this setup. I also may be looking for a male if anyone knows a breeder or is trying to find a new home for one.

Thanks

Oh okay. Well sorry I can't help ya lol. Hopefully someone will help. Can two of these geckos be housed together? (Unlike cresties)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure 2 female Cresties could be housed together. A male and female is 50/50 whether they would get along or not for either species. I am a newbie though so I am just talking from what I researched.

Thanks

Yeah two crests females *can* be housed together, but shouldn't. What I was asking is should they?

Thanks

Probably not, but I don't think there are any "gecko whisperer's" out there yet. You should always have a backup enclosure for any aggression.
    Last edited by Keeferd; 07-01-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: grammar

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Keeferd For This Useful Post:

Hailey (07-02-2017)

Thanks

Yeah I see. Good luck and she is a pretty gal.

Thanks

Thanks

Gorgeous! Don't try to handle as they can make their skin slough and fall off which is painful and stressful for the gecko. Definitely just for display. Try to upgrade her tank size one day, I'd use an 18x18x24 as a minimum for an adult honestly as they are so active and like room to roam. Do you have pangea available? Should have a dish of it available at all time along with bugs every other day. Put the roaches in along shallow container as they can't climb surfaces like that (a 8 Oz deli cup would work perfect.) Put it in the bottom of the tank against a wall or something so she can climb down and eat them with ease without the stress of them escaping
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Last_Creature For This Useful Post:

Keeferd (07-02-2017)