Thread: When your camera's white balance is wrong and it makes your gecko look SO cool

Thanks

Default When your camera's white balance is wrong and it makes your gecko look SO cool

I reviewed some photos today and was blown away - how had I not realized that I own a stunning BLUE gecko? Here is Lignin in all her glory:

Name:  DSC_7350.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  DSC_7372.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  88.4 KB

...which, of course, is not real. In real life she is gray, not this deep sky color. But I guess her orange threw my camera off, so now I have these pretty pictures. If only...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonlets For This Useful Post:

TAD (06-30-2017)

Thanks

Wow pretty. This happened once with my camera and shoot. My gecko was absolutely stunning.... oh well right? Haha. I'd like to see her actual colors.

Thanks

What type of camera do you have?
    I know I have a standard DSLR (Nikon D1300) and it has a hard time focusing on my gecko's eyes. I have to do manual focus for all my photos.
    If only it would focus...
    Very pretty gecko though! I thought it looked realistic with all the photo editing going on nowadays.
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hailey View Post
    What type of camera do you have?
    I know I have a standard DSLR (Nikon D1300) and it has a hard time focusing on my gecko's eyes.
    I have D700 and a macro lens. It also has trouble with the eyes - generally they're in focus 50% of the time, so I just take a lot of extra photos. Does your camera have that auto-focus toggle where you can select auto-focus to focus on just one tiny square in the image? That's what I do, and position the tiny square exactly over the gecko's eye.

My problem is that, with the macro lens, my depth of field is so small that it's hard to get any other part of the gecko in focus when I do get the eye! I have a lot of photos with a perfect eye surrounded by a gecko-shaped blur.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlets View Post
    I have D700 and a macro lens. It also has trouble with the eyes - generally they're in focus 50% of the time, so I just take a lot of extra photos. Does your camera have that auto-focus toggle where you can select auto-focus to focus on just one tiny square in the image? That's what I do, and position the tiny square exactly over the gecko's eye.

My problem is that, with the macro lens, my depth of field is so small that it's hard to get any other part of the gecko in focus when I do get the eye! I have a lot of photos with a perfect eye surrounded by a gecko-shaped blur.
    Yeah. I have to do manual focus. I can do auto focus but it never really meets my standards. I have looked into getting a good macro lens so I think that will be in the near future. And, lol, I totally get that. Either the eye is in focus and the body is a blur, or vice versa.
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

Ooh that sucks. Luckily my camera focuses on eyes and the gecko.

Thanks

Looks fantastic ☺️ Can be blue that grey without overbalance.
    I have a theory about the blue(ish) look.
    The chromatophores, more specially the irridophores are in white and/or blue (cyan) hue. With grey, it gives a sight of blue, with yellow, gives olive. Can be that if the quantity or fullness of those colors in the vesicles gave that light transparent blue for black animals, and olive base color for the yellowish or brownish ones when they overlay it?
    I saw many yellow or red base cresties dorsal line in olive hue. Maybe it's a bad conclusion, but I think it's displays separately in the pattern and the base color in different quantities. E.g. Patternless olive (base & pattern), lavander (base), and yellow or red with olive like dorsal (pattern). Besides that, until now I didn't found a black base animal with olive dorsal.

Sorry for my bad English