Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a pups later this year hopefully!

Thanks

Default Getting a pups later this year hopefully!

YUSH! So for the past 5 years I've been wanting a dog, but never had the room for one (I COULD have gotten one, but I knew it wouldn't be fair on the dog to be cramped in small apartments, etc.). Now, My SO and I are moving, we have a town house locked down with a small yard, and it's a 2 floored, 2 bed 2 bath just shy of 1000sq ft. So decent room.

My dream dog, is an Ibizan Hound

I found a breeder in OK, who has a friend that travels from CO to UT frequently, and I'm moving to NV. So I asked her: "If I got a pup from you, could your friend take it to UT with her and I can drive to UT to get it?" And she said that would be fine. It would be easier on both me, and the puppy to go this route, the multiple stops will keep the pup occupied enough I think. Airplane travel, and I thought about, is probably like 500$+ for me to bring a dog aboard into cabin space (I ain't puttin' him/her in the luggage area... too many horror stories about that stuff, and she/he'd be small enough to fit into a carrier in a sit, or just sit in said seat) and it would probably be just as long of a trip, if not more so if there were lay-overs. So yeah.

The litter is due in July (mid-late I believe) and her friend leaves for UT in Sep. I believe, so the time frame is practically perfect.

I've been trying to find some good books to start reading about dogs in general, training, and about the breed in general. I read about these hounds in the past, but it was the basics to see if their personality would fit my life style, and such.

So far the books I've gotten are:
    • Ibizan Hound (Comprehensive Owner's Guide) by Juliette Cunliffe
    • Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love by Zak George (he has a well-reviewed YouTube channel and it seems his methods are very straight forward)
    • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia B. McConnell (read that it's a great book to give insight on the way dogs view us, etc.)
    • The Puppy Primer by Patricia B. McConnell (again, highly recommended book and was told was a good book for puppy training)

Any other good books? Anything experienced dog owners can share?
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

This is awesome! Congrats. These dogs sure are pretty. All I can say is don't give up on potty training and basic training. And start from day one. I would also get him/her well socialized. Trust me, it's better in the long run. Better then having to leave him/her home every time you leave or locked ina room every time someone comes over lol.

Thanks

although I know I'll have to lay the boundaries down, I believe the breeder potty trains their pups. My dog will be about 2/2.5 months old by the time I get him/her. So i'd like to think such a long-time breeder would make sure to introduce potty training with their dogs as early as they can and I don't have to start from scratch with an almost 3 MONTH old dog.

I plan to take my dog everywhere I can, and I also want to make sure to start crate training as soon as possible, leaving a young dog loose in the house when we have to go get groceries or something is not a thing I'd like to do. LOL and I will never leave him/her loose in the backyard. Ibizan's can jump the average fence from a complete standstill, and I doubt the fence at the house is the required height needed to let an ibizan loose in the yard. Plus, people can be turds and steal dogs. Too many painful horror stories of people who let their dogs loose unsupervised in the yard. No, no, and no.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

Lol yeah. Dogs are not hard, but I've also have had dogs every single moment in my life, so yeah lol.

Thanks

indeed. I've been around dogs a decent amount of my life, but they were never mine, it was either friends, or other family members. So it'll be nice to have a dog myself and train it how I feel dogs should be trained. I'm currently reading "The other end of the leash" book and even though i'm only 1 chapter in, I've learned a lot. I've learned that the old methods of dog training are like not good. Treat a dog like a dog and stop anthropomorphizing them is basically what the first chapter is about. Some of the stuff I've both seen and done to dogs, I've realized could have gotten me bit. Like I never would have thought hugging was a bad thing to do , as it's a sign of dominance in dog-world. Looking dogs in the eyes? Bad idea. among other things. It's very interesting, as she's putting me in the world how a DOG sees it, not a human. I think that's why a lot of people hate Ceasar Milan, because he treats dogs... like dogs. He trains humans more so than the dogs, because it's the humans usually who give off the wrong visual ques and emotions, etc. There are times I think he's a bit 'harsh'? i guess is a decent word, but I understand the basics behind his methods now: Treat a dog like a dog.
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

A lot of Milan's methods (the old dominance theories and punishment-based training) are considered unhealthy now...positive training is much preferred. You have a good start with anything by Patricia McConnell. Also Jean Donaldson's book, "Culture Clash" is excellent, as is Leslie McDevitt's "Control Unleashed". Any YouTube videos by Dr. Sophia Yin are also excellent. Some of Milan's training methods make sense, others I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole ("flooding", for instance). As you mentioned, hugging a dog who doesn't like to be hugged is setting them up for a bite. Looking a dog straight in the eye can be threatening to some of them. (My dog doesn't mind it, but it would set off a friend's dog to the danger zone). Socialize, but always have people ask if they can pet your dog (under the chin, not top of the head), especially kids - and have them let the dog smell the back of their hand first. If your dog seems uncomfortable, tell the person your pup is not sure of himself, and to please give him space. You are your dog's protector, and once he knows he can trust you, he will become a good, confident dog.

Mostly - read a lot, listen to everyone, and then do what makes sense for you and your dog. Not everyone is 100% right or wrong. Zak George has AWESOME dogs, and has done an awesome job training them - his dogs do what he wants because they love doing it for him.

Even if your breeder potty trains their dogs at his or her home, you will still need to expect some accidents at first, as your pup will not know where YOU want him to go, and your structure and routine will be different from the breeder's. But hopefully your pup will pick it up quickly at that age. Mainly - be patient with training, and remember that when your dog comes to your home, it will be like being dumped on a whole new planet, with all new beings, and he won't know what to expect from you, or what you expect from him. Lots of love, patience, consistency and structure. I've had dogs all my life - most of them rescues - labs, collies, mutts - and Australian cattle dogs for the last 10 - a tough, smart breed, and wonderful companions if trained right and given a job. We currently have a rescue "rattledog" - Australian cattledog/rat terrier mix who is one heck of a handful, and the most challenging dog we've ever had!

Congratulations on your new addition! I have never been without a dog, and can't imagine ever being without one.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

yeah i don't agree with the dominance thing Milan does, but the whole needing to treat a dog like it is, rather than pushing human emotions into it is what I agree with. I do not agree with 'acting like the alpha' in a dominance way. You stay 'in charge' by training a dog properly and giving very clear signals to your dog about how you want them to behave, you don't need to poke em or tower over them in dominance to prove a point. I guess i view animals of any shape or size as equals in a way, treat em' how you want to be treated. If you want them to do something, ya gotta be clear about what you want and since dogs don't speak english, you need to come up with other ways to tell them to do something, and since we don't speak dog, we need to pay attention to their body language so we don't cross a line.

I'll have to look into those people I believe Patricia referenced "Control Unleashed" in the first chapter I read so I'll have to look into that.

I've been trying to find something that I can attach to my dog's harness that says "Ask before touching" or something like that, so I don't have ppl just walk up. Most people are polite and ask before, but i've seen some people just walk up and pet a dog. ESPECIALLY kids... and even though I plan to make sure my pup is well socialized and tolerant of children, I still don't want people putting my dog in questionable situations, especially when I'm still training him/her.

I watched some of Zak's videos and greatly enjoy them. I wish he was a bit more specific in them and gave more direction, but the basics are there and I love that it's simple to understand.

Oh yeah, like I said I know i'll still have to set up boundries and such for the whole potty stuff, and I expect a few accidents. Thankfully they make good cleaners now that get rid of the scent (enzyme cleaners i believe is what they label them as. I know what I mean, but just can't remember the titles LOL)

Thank yo for the info
    Sovereign Reptiles

Thanks

Check out Dr. Sophia Yin's videos, they are super helpful. And there are lots of them.

The enzyme cleaners are Simple Solution and Nature's Miracle (I believe the first bought out the second) - they are available on Amazon if you can't find them in your local pet store. I think even WalMart carries Simple Solution now.

Ibizans are beautiful dogs - and I think they are bred to hunt/chase, so you'll have to watch prey drive. Small animals may fascinate the dog, perhaps in a not-so-healthy way!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

I agree with you. I can tell you that I treat my dog like a person, but I also can't tell you that I treat her completely doggly, either. What I can tell you is this; she is perfect. The only thing I would change (if I could), is treating her more humanly. Like, taking her into stores etc. I've thought about having her registered as a service dog, but she is an 8 pound chihuahua lol. Speaking about registering, you could do that with your. More time then not, the best says not to touch. You can also search EBAY. I've seen things like that many times ok there.

Wha is it that you like about these breeds? The looks? Tempurment? Or just all of it?

Thanks

Yeah. I'm hoping that since I'm getting him/her as a young dog, that me having a cat, will teach them that "no... you can't chase EVERYTHING". I've always read that if you have a cat, getting a puppy is the way to go, so it learns at an early age "no chasing the cat". I know the instinct will always be there, but of course I would never leave the dog unsupervised in the house alone, hence the crate training.

Their look, their personality, the fact that they're not BIG dogs, but they aren't small either. They're lanky and not bulky (I love the slender ones). Their big ears are amazing. They're very smart. i need to get off my butt and start exercising, and having a high energy dog to get me out of the house and moving is what I NEED. They're family dogs as well, so they do great with a wide variety of people and kids which means socializing them shouldn't be very hard. And, because they're a more 'rare' breed, their breeding has been carefully monitored among the Beezer community (yes that's what they call them among ppl who own them hehe) so they don't have many health problems, if at all, that other more common breeds may have. Of course old age can bring out anything, I don't believe many Beezers develop hip issues, like say a german shepard does, or spinal problems like Dachshunds, ya know? So they're a .... less stressful breed for me. I don't have to worry about always looking out for tall tale signs of health issues because for the most part, Beezers are a VERY healthy breed.
    Sovereign Reptiles