Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crested gecko not laying viable eggs..

Thanks

Default Crested gecko not laying viable eggs..

So I asked this on a thread of my that has been made for awhile for this topic, instead of making a whole new one and over-populating this forum even more . But no answer, so here I am lol. Anyway.....

I'm pretty sure it's impossible, but can an infertile crested lay infertile eggs? (If yes, this still doesn't clarify why she did lay a few viable eggs last year?) It just doesn't make sense why I don't have any viable eggs, yet.

Maybe the male is infertile and these are all just partho eggs? That explains why the one was going so well til day 80, and then boom, he died...
    All I know is if no babies (or at least a good egg) this year, I'm done breeding. Any light shed would be great!!

Thanks

Buump.

Thanks

Wish I could help you, but I'm too new to know anything about this stuff! Would love to learn, though!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

Thanks TAD.

Thanks

I'd say infertile male or female (usually it's the female). I'd not breed her anymore or if you've got living offspring, to not breed them as the infirtility could easily pass down and you don't really want that in the gene pool of geckos being bought and sold. It ducks especially cause your girl is quite pretty but for the best if she's just not making anything. If she's not obese then yeah probably genetic where she's just infertile. Sorry :/
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Thanks Nova. But she could still lay eggs even if she is infertile? Keep in mind that last season she did have an egg with a baby that made it to full term. I'm just trying to figure all of this out.

Thanks

Yep, she can still lay eggs as a normal female would but no matter how much she's bred with a male, they will mostly (if not always) end up infirtiles. Their bodies just can't put the stuff together to make it. I'm not sure if geckos have "eggs" like female mammals as i haven't really studied the biology of these guys too much, but if a woman is infertile or sterile as some say (I actually have a friend who can't jave kids for this very reason) then the egg and sperm can't combine to make a baby either due to a lack of eggs in the woman or the here is a deep issue though with reptiles it's usually genetic or a nutritional deficiency or obesity. But you take proper care of your geckos so probably ran in her family and she just happened to develop the issue
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.4 E.Macularius 1.2.0 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

Yes, females can lay infertile eggs.

My experience over the last several years varies significantly from Last_Creature, however. While I've had infertile animals rarely, it's a 50/50 split.

It was, however, more common to have a male who couldn't get the deed done, but the hormones/activity seemed to induce the female to lay regardless, resulting in infertile eggs. In these cases the female was generally rejecting the male, who was too inexperienced to finish up. I've also had one or two who...were a bit premature. Same result.

Thanks

Okay thanks guys. I guess I just have back luck. How about excessive breeding? Could that playa role in this? If I do decide to breed again (which I'm sure I will, as I don't want to stop) I'll just get a proven pair. Thanks again.

Thanks

I'm hoping to do geckos next year, after I get my new big enclosures all set up, and a female with a clear bill of health. But in the bearded dragons I've had, and other reptiles I've read about (lizards and snakes), it is possible for a female to lay eggs without breeding or being in contact with a male. I had a female beardie, who was never bred (all my males were her siblings) and in a cage by herself, not even a divided cage, and at age 7 yrs she started laying eggs. No idea why, it just happened. None of the eggs were viable, but I tried incubating for while till they all went dud and gave up. It can happen in lots of animals that lay eggs, chickens for a non-reptile example just need a certain light regime. It is also possible on rare occasion, for female reptiles who have not been bred, to lay viable eggs (or give birth in the case of some rattle snakes and others) which is parthenogenesis. There is also a species of lizard where there are NO males, all female and after a pseudo mating behavior between females, both go off and lay viable eggs. There are a lot of causes for sterility. The obvious reasons are not producing enough sperm (naturally way low counts (or none, or too young and just not producing enough yet)--can also be caused by the male being extremely over bred and not given enough rest time between females to rebuild his counts), or the female not actually producing eggs, or the uterus not being able to provide suitable development places (or other parts of a reptile system before the eggs are shelled). Very often it is caused by genetic mistakes in either sperm or egg that make it impossible for the embryo to develop at all, or only for a very brief time before the mutation(s) kills it, so you get nothing showing in an egg. (A less severe, but still lethal mutation, is what causes "slugs", where the embryo develops for a good while, but dies in the egg before hatching. It's not the only cause of "slugs", but it's a major one.) And yes, nutrition and health are also big players. The pair might be fine genetically and reproduction gamete wise (sperm/egg), but if the female doesn't have enough energy to put into making good big yolks, albumin (the "white"), and proper shells, you probably won't get viable eggs either. That can also happen if the female is not mature enough to have her body work properly yet, similar to a male that's too young to produce enough sperm. In most reptiles, maturity is mostly a size thing, not so much an age thing (but that does play a part). Hope this information helps.