Thread: Feeder size question

Thanks

Default Feeder size question

I am looking into getting an adult corn snake from someone online. They say they feed one frozen 50g rat every 2 weeks. I was wondering if it would be ok to try and feed one regular adult mouse every week instead. It is easier for me to get ahold of mice then it is rats around here. I know corn snakes aren't too picky about feeders but I just want to make sure moving to smaller prey more often is ok to do since I've never owned a snake before.

Thanks

You can try it. If she eats it and is full, but not too full, then it'll work. Mice are great for corns.
    Last edited by Lovelyanddekstest; 07-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks

How do you know a snake is full?

Thanks

Default Mice are perfect for corn snakes.

I have no idea why someone would say to feed rats to a corn snake. I've raised 14 corn snakes from tiny hatchling to breeding capable, and purchased and bred adult breeders. All of them were fed mice their entire lives. The adults I bought from a VET, who breeds lots of corn snakes, and she always fed mice. An adult corn snake should eat adult or retired breeder size mice. How often you feed is going to depend on if your snake is still growing substantially, or getting ready to breed, or go into hibernation. I feed my 7 year old corn, one mouse every other week. I had to cut back because she started getting chubby. At that schedule, she is perfectly fit and healthy. If you are using smaller mice, you may be able to do one a week, but you'll need to keep an eye out that it doesn't start getting fat. A fat corn will literally start getting fat roll creases and look too round. Unless where you're keeping it stays fairly warm, the snake will usually go off feed for the winter when they hibernate. When it starts being very active again in the late winter/spring, try feeding again. You totally do NOT need to feed a corn snake rats. They will be perfectly fine on mice for their entire lives. You'll just need to play around with the feeder size and frequency to find the right fit that won't make your snake get fat. The ideal feeder size "rule of thumb" for most snakes, is that the feeder should be as big around as the biggest around area of the snake. (Lizards is "as big as the area between the eyes").

Oh, a snake is usually "full" when they they go curl up to digest for a few days and you don't see them around. If they are really active, they may be hungry. Usually if the food is the right size, they will take about 3-5 days to digest it, if the temperatures are o.k. Definitely do not feed more than once a week, unless the mouse is really small compared to your snake's girth. Sometimes they will eat several at one sitting, or one every few days. It's very important to keep an eye on the snake's weight to make sure it doesn't get fat. Obesity in snakes is extremely bad for them.