Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to worry? -Not eating

Thanks

Hmmm...I have the Pangea digital one for about $12, it works fine...

But anyway...yeah, put him back in the bigger tank with his favorite vine and an extra feeding station. He'll be just fine.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

He ate, he ate, he finally ate! I didn't have a lot in that one (bottle cap), but it's a start! I just moved him back to his exo-terra too. He's got food and water up high by his vine and plants, and another on the ground. The food on the ground is in his hide because that's where the one was he finally ate out of when he was in the little cage. The on the ground water is just outside his hide. I was debating on making that hide a moist hide, but maybe not now....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hockeydog7 For This Useful Post:

TAD (06-22-2017)

Thanks

Awesome congrats!!!

Thanks

Ok so since I posted he ate, it's been questionable if he's ate since. There were a few maybes.... so I just went and pulled his food after it being in there 2 nights. The two bowls on the ground I don't think were touched, but the one up top has potential. But I was wondering if the ones up high dry out and 'shrink' faster or did he actually eat?

Name:  food-sidebyside.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  food-low.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  58.3 KB
    Name:  food-high.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  35.3 KB

We are still struggling getting his humidity up at night. I put a humidifier in there by him last night and we still only manged about 70%, but that is with the analog hydrometer that came with the exo-terra, hoping to get a different one this week to be sure on the readings. It stays right around 50% during the day.

Thanks

The food looks a little like it's drying out. You can add a few drops of water to it on the 2nd night, to keep it at ketchup-consistency. If it gets too hard they won't eat it.

Are you hand-misting with a squirt bottle?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    The food looks a little like it's drying out. You can add a few drops of water to it on the 2nd night, to keep it at ketchup-consistency. If it gets too hard they won't eat it.

Are you hand-misting with a squirt bottle?
    Yes, I'm misting every night, which he hates by the way. I make sure not to get him with it .... but all the plants, walls, everything.... he gives me a look like he's planning my death, and climbs up the back wall to the ceiling and stays there for hours......

Thanks

It looks like he ate a little bit last night too ... just a section in the middle missing.

We're planning to go to the reptile store we like (not the place we got him from) this weekend to discuss and troubleshoot the humidity issue.

Thanks

So I was talking to my friend who used to have cresties about the humidity problem and she said she had the same problem when she was using paper towels and had to switch to hydro balls and substrate. I went into the reptile store and they pretty well recommended the same. So we did switch his out. It looks a lot nicer but I feel kind of bad that I took up so much of his space with substrate .... maybe I need to use less next time.... I also got a new thermometer/hydrometer but all the ones meant for reptiles had horrible reviews about their terrible accuracy so I ended up getting one meant for the home but I don't leave it in his enclosure, just put it in for 20-30 minutes when I want to gauge his humidity (the temp is pretty close even outside his enclosure). The analog that came with the exo-terra won't go over 70%, the new one has gone up to about 84% after I mist .... I think I'd still like to get it slightly higher though, but it's better than it was. I'll probably eventually buy the thermometer/hydrometer here on the pangea site so I can have one that stays in his space.

Now that I've seen he only eats out of the one feeding spot, I've gotten rid of the others and just leave him more in that one spot which also keeps it from drying out so quick. He is eating about every 3rd day now so we are probably going to try some crickets this weekend ... I just have to figure out how many to get etc. We live a good 40 minutes from the reptile store we'll be getting them from so I have to decide if I should plan to keep some on hand for a 2nd feeding or not ... I really hate keeping them though. Decisions, decisions.