Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Garg- no weight gain in a year!

Thanks

Default Update!

Quote Originally Posted by gecko.friend View Post
    This is an older thread, but what temperatures are you keeping the gecko at? Day and night temperatures.
    Hi there! I hadn't updated this post after I ended up taking her to the vet and making some decisions.

To answer your question: I have her at the temp of my room, which is between 60-high 70's. I had switched her to a tiny cage (which she seems to enjoy) and bought a heat lamp, only to find it won't fit on the top of her tiny cage safely.

As an update, after the vet, I decided to give in and start hand feeding her 3x a week, recording her weight weekly, and misting at least daily. I even had a care sheet for her for the first two months (I'm a former vet tech, ha). I've been doing this for ~3 months now, and her last recorded weight was 16.7 grams! She's gotten a lot bigger from when I started, and since I've gotten her out to handle 3-6 times a week, she's become my best little buddy. She's really turned into a sweet and wonderful little girl, much different from her flying-biting-fleeing self at the beginning of summer.

So yeah. Her weight and size are up, and now begins the "how the heck do I get you to eat on your own" dilemma, haha.

Thanks

Ah, this makes a lot of sense then! 60s are very cold for a gargoyle gecko--many breeders cool their animals into the mid 60s during a 4-6 week period in the winter to prepare them for breeding in the spring--most animals eat little to nothing during this time, it slows their metabolism.

I would keep him at 78-80 ambient...and the area near the heat source should be warmer. I keep mine 78-80 during the day and it drops to ~74/75 at night because we turn the AC on. The area near the heating pads are warmer, 85 degrees. Many days I see them sitting directly next to the heating pad for the entire day, and at night. Mist to maintain humidity 50-80%. I have screen top zoo meds, and I have covered the tops (mostly, but not fully) with glass to retain humidity.

I like heating pads/ceramic heat emitters over light bulbs because they can be used for 24 hrs a day (and last longer).

I'm glad to hear that she is gaining weight and calming down! As for the dilemma, maybe transition to feeding her while she is in her cage in a particular spot? I like to use the small pangea ledges because they recognize to come to them for food, and it's always in the same spot. That's awesome that you keep a log

I also offer dubia in a bowl daily to growing juveniles and 3x a week to adults.

Just to give you an idea...I bought a 6g animal at the end of March...and she is now 39g. Heat and insects work wonders.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko.friend For This Useful Post:

TAD (09-15-2017)

Thanks

I was going to mention that the heat probably has something to do with it. If you do use a ceramic heater though, put it in a wire holder as opposed to a dome lamp, for fire safety reasons. Glad you are seeing progress! I have to weigh my garg tonight. He hasn't been gaining very quickly either, but our tank is always in the 70's for temps. Still, he's bigger than he was when I got him 6 months ago, so I think part of it is just my impatience!
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 3.0.0