Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leopard gecko or Gargoyle Gecko

Thanks

Question Leopard gecko or Gargoyle Gecko

Hello, I am here asking your opinion. So I have a 24"x18"x20" Exo terra tank and I want to know what would be better to get a leopard gecko or a gargoyle gecko. I have done a lot of research on both and to be honest I like them equally but the gecko would be my FIRST gecko. Ideally, I would like to hold them a decent amount so I want to know what would be better for handling, I already have a heating pad(7v) and it is right next to my window on my dresser.
    I care if I have to feed it live food or not but I was wondering what would be better to have.Also which has the better temper, handleability, also what would be more entertaining during the day( I'm aware both are nocturnal).

Thanks

I think a gargoyle gecko would be cool. I think they are cooler and they are about the same in care but the gargoyle are a little more uncommon. This is my opinion but others may have different opinions.

Thanks

I personally would get a garg. But that's my personal opinion. Their care is quite different. Gards don't require any added heat (no heating pad!). Is the tank tall? If so, go with the garg. Leo's need long, rather then tall, tanks. Please do more research though. The best advice I can give you is visit places that have Garda and Leo's and handle them and see which you like better.

Thanks

I don't have any experience with gargs, but I have a Leo and she's a great pet! They're actually crepuscular (active during dawn and dusk),not nocturnal. A garg might be better for you, though, since Leos must have live food

Thanks

I would get a leopard gecko in my opinion. I, personally, have always wanted one (ha ha ha) and I hear that they are great pets and most love to be handled. Some are even good pets for kids as they are very docile. Just be sure to get your pet from a responsible breeder (or pet store) and that when by the windowsill the tank doesn't heat up. No direct sunlight. I am sure you probably already know this though.
    Hailey Rose
    1.0 Correlophus Ciliatus ~ Gobi
    0.1 Maltese/Terrier ~ Mazy
    1.0 Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu ~ Milo

Thanks

I'm sorry!! I meant they both have about the same difficulty. They are both great pets but I know that they have different requirements. Sorry for the confusion but they are great beginner pets. Now that I think about it I would recommend the leopard to be handed more.
    Good Luck!!
    Again sorry for the my mis-information

Thanks

I just realized i put i care if i have to feed live or not. I meant i dont care lol. Also I my cage is actually 22"tall not 18. And every forum and pet store I talk to all say my tank is suitable for both species.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
    I think a gargoyle gecko would be cool. I think they are cooler and they are about the same in care but the gargoyle are a little more uncommon. This is my opinion but others may have different opinions.
    Yes! I've actually been looking for a gargoyle with no luck so far, and am a little jealous of those that have been able to find them locally. We're probably going to end up with a crested instead since I don't really want to buy online ....

Thanks

I've had the same debate Gargoyle/Crested vs Leopard. I highly recommend going to a place that has both and seeing them. We went to a well recommended pet store near me. They did not have any gargoyles as I haven't been able to find them around here, but they had cresteds which are similar and leopards and I think seeing them both and being able to ask questions does help. I'm not super crazy about the idea of keeping crickets on-hand so we're going the crested route (unless I miraculously find a garg soon), a once a week insect feeding doesn't require me to keep a whole colony of them afterall. But from what I've read both are good for handling. Good luck in your decision.

Thanks

Ok thanks for the input. For me only one pet store has gargs and they only have one he/she hatched may 24/2017 and I have watched it grow for while. However they only have one but I feel they will have more. Also every pet store near me have Leo's so I really don't know what to do. I really don't want a creative as I don't like how they can't regrow a tail. So I kinda am leaning to gargs but availability wise it's the Leo's that win. Also I won't be able to get a gecko for a month so I hope the garg doesn't sell. Anyway if it sells I'll see if the they will be getting anymore soon. If not I'll happily take a gecko I guess. Also I'm still open to opinions.