Thread: Abnormal hatchling

Thanks

Exclamation Abnormal hatchling

Hi I have been breeding geckos for a few years now thankfully without any issues with my hatchlings.
    However this is a first for me.
    So gargoyle egg over 90 days, sweating like mad but no sign of hatchling, perhaps not as large as I would have expected it to be.
    I took hard decision to assist the hatchling out but did not expect what I found.
    It's quite graphic so if you don't like this sort of thing please don't click on the picture link.
    The poor little thing had a larger head than expected a small body & the most shocking thing is that he had his vital organs, looks like heart, lungs & ? gut outside of his body. You could see his heart pumping
    He was alive & made some movements but I felt I had no choice but to end suffering quickly as he would have not survived long anyway.
    I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced while breeding geckos??
    I am assuming something happened with cell division whilst developing in the egg??
    Name:  IMG_20170607_055854.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.6 KB:shock
    Last edited by AceGargoyles; 06-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0
    Chahoua. 0:0:1

Thanks

I haven't had it happen with gargoyles, but I produce mostly leopard geckos and in the last 12 years it's happened twice. In both cases there was an abdominal hernia with the intestines protruding. Some people have been successful supergluing the cavity shut but it's never worked for me and needless to say, the geckos have not survived.

Aliza

Thanks

Update: the pair to this egg hatched last night. Unfortunately not a good outcome either. However this one just had it's gut/bowel outside of its body but this was still quite significant & again didn't live.
    I did have a feeling that this was going to be the case before hatched so it for me wasn't unexpected this time.
    However on a lighter note I also had another gargoyle hatch who was fine & well & pretty feisty little guy.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0

Thanks

Aww, so sorry to hear about this second one. But I'm glad you have the one that turned out healthy & happy. Or feisty.
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

Thanks

This is the feisty little one, he looks grey striped in this picture but he will be red/choc colouring. Hatchling is Golums 1st little garglet of this year.
    Name:  IMG_20170608_191137.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  63.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170608_191111.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  72.1 KB
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

TAD (06-08-2017)

Thanks

What a sad thing to have to deal with. This rarely happens in human babies (gastroschisis, or the similar omphalocele) - the niece of a friend of mine was born with some organs on the outside, and went through several surgeries and is fine now. (Obviously this level of complex medical care is not available for baby gargs, though!)

In humans there seem to be multiple potential causes - sometimes it's genetic, sometimes not. The fact that both full sib geckos had it for you does suggest a genetic cause, though, so I wonder if you should consider not repeating this particular pairing. Have you had healthy babies from this pair before?

Thanks

Yes I had thought about this however this particular pair I have bred together for 3 years this being the fourth & this is the first time this have ever occurred in fact the first time I have had any issue with a hatchling at all. I am thinking less likely genetics but perhaps something occurred in the incubation process?? But guess I will never know for sure. I have had between 25-30 garglets each year with no occurrence of this before. If it occurred just once again with same pair then this would change my opinion as I would not knowing want to put other garglet through this suffering as that would be selfish.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0