Thread: Swollen vent?

Thanks

Question Swollen vent?

Hi all,

my chahoua's vent looks swollen to me. He is a male, so of course he has a bulge, but I am worried about the puffy "lips" above it. Does it look normal to you? It could as well be from the way he has to tighten his muscles when he is sticking to the acrylic, but I do not have any other male chahouas nearby to compare to, so I hope someone here on the forum can reassure me or tell me if I need to take Urmel to the vet.
    Please let me know what you think.

Lucia

1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

Hi wish I could advise more accurately.
    I only have one chewie & not been able to sex him/her yet.
    It does look a little swollen, more so than I would perhaps expect.
    Do you happen to know if he's had his, sorry no other way to say this 'bits out' very recently. I know if my male gargoyle s get their bits out the area does seem to look larger for a little while until all settles again.
    Maybe monitor for the next 24 hours & see how things go.
    If things continue not too settle then perhaps get him checked by vet.
    Once again sorry can't be more helpful.
    Good luck
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0
    Chahoua. 0:0:1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AceGargoyles For This Useful Post:

Lucia (06-06-2017)

Thanks

Thank you for the reply! I took Urmel out yesterday night to see how his vent looked when he was not sticking to the door, and it looked normal, i. e. the "swollen lips" were folded in and not visible. I do not know if he had his 'male bits' out shortly before that, but I noticed the odd appearance of his vent a few times over the past two weeks or so, whenever he was sticking to the front of the cage. I think I may take him to the vet just to be sure.
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

I don't have a chewie, but it does look like it might swollen. Comparing to my male cresties, it also looks like he just had his 'bits out'. However since it has been looking odd for a little while, I think a vet visit would be your best bet. Sorry I cant help you more, but please keep me updated! I hope all things clear up and he will be fine. Goodluck.
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    2.1.CRESTED GECKO Dekstest,Phantom,Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis
    4.4.COCKATIELS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelyanddekstest For This Useful Post:

Lucia (06-06-2017)

Thanks

Just made an appointment for Thursday morning. I know that an infected vent can be serious if it is not treated in time, so I want Urmel to be seen by a vet, if only for my peace of mind.

Thanks

I don't blame you, if it was one of my guys & I wasn't happy think I would do the same. You know what's not right for your guys better than anyone else. Hope all is fine.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0

Thanks

Here's something interesting I stumbled across while looking for pictures of 'chahoua parts' in the "Rhacodactylus Bible". I did not find a good picture of a chahoua vent, but page 208 features a picture of 'leachie bits', i. e. a female leachianus showing what is called cloacal exposure. The caption says this behavior is seen in a number of circumstances including disturbance or scent-marking. I do not know if chahouas do this as well, but maybe Urmel is just marking his territory or telling me to leave him alone. Anyways, I am going to show the picture to the vet, along with the gecko, and let her decide if she thinks it is pathologic or normal behavior.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucia For This Useful Post:

AceGargoyles (06-07-2017),Lovelyanddekstest (06-07-2017)

Thanks

Update: returned from the vet with some good news and bad news.

The good: the vet thinks I got some great looking geckos (brought Pumpkin along because of an unrelated issue). She also found that the only things that were swollen on Urmel were his hemipenes. So he is just being a boy and going through 'that time of the year' without a girlfriend :-(. The odd appearance of his vent could either be due to his swollen hemipenes or it could be that he uses his cloaca for scent marking like a leachie.

The bad news: Urmel kindly provided the vet with a fresh poop sample during his examination, so she did a fecal float and found a high pinworm load. Urmel is on worm meds right now, sitting in a quarantine tub and is probably mad at himself for pooping in the wrong moment. I don't mind treating him for pinworms, but what sucks is that he was in a bioactive tank, and I had him repeatedly tested for parasites because I did not want any buildup in the tank. The last test was only a month ago and negative. The vet thinks breeding season may have stressed Urmel, and that is why he now developed a parasite problem. My geckos are housed separately and I do not feed crickets - only home-grown roaches, so I doubt he caught the worms while in my care.
    Now it looks like I will have to sanitize the whole bioactive tank, which means getting rid of substrate and live plants :-(. Maybe I should just have treated him for pinworms prophylactically before moving him to the bioactive tank.
    I am not too happy tearing that tank down, but I am glad Urmel is not seriously sick. I'll post a separate thread about Pumpkin...

Thanks

Gutted! Think that sums it up re having to start your tank again
    But glad nothing seriously wrong with Urmel.
    Hadn't really thought about that sort of issue with the bioactive tanks another consideration I guess.
    Ace Gargoyles
    Gargoyle geckos. 2.5.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceGargoyles View Post
    Gutted! Think that sums it up re having to start your tank again
    But glad nothing seriously wrong with Urmel.
    Hadn't really thought about that sort of issue with the bioactive tanks another consideration I guess.
    Yeah, that is actually something I would stress with anyone who wants to do a bioactive tank: be prepared to do it all over if your gecko gets parasites. I would also highly recommend prophylactic pinworm treatments.

Eventually, all my three geckos had pinworms, Urmel just took longer than the others to test positive. Since one of my cresties also had a more serious parasite issue (coccidia), I was really careful to prevent a spread of the infection, so my guess is that all of my geckos already had pinworms when I got them. They were all from reputable breeders, and I would not blame them, because Pinworms are so ubiquitous and harmless in small numbers.

Maybe I just got unlucky, but my personal experience so far suggests that any gecko that has never been treated for pinworms most likely has them.