Thread: Looking to start breeding/keeping chewies

Thanks

Default Looking to start breeding/keeping chewies

Hey everyone! So my first question is - I'm wanting to get a pair or trio of mainland chewies next spring and I'm wondering if there are are by Canadian breeders that ship them around Canada? I'm located in Alberta.

I'm looking to sell off my crested gecko collection late next winter once my female is done laying for the season and all the babies are large enough to sell (though I may keep 1 or 2 cause I'm getting some really nice babies this season) because I want to start working with chahouas, I've always loved the species and have been able to work with keeper of them and they are just so awesome.

Ive done tons of research and have talked to keepers and have kept a few new Caledonian species before so I think I'd be alright keeping these guys. Now I'd love to breed and I know they alright harder to breed cause it's harder to sex them and they lay eggs with thicker and harder shells so you can't really tell if the baby has died inside (unless it starts rotting) and it can be harder for babies to hatch but I'd really enjoy trying to take on the task of successfully breeding them.

Anywhoo, basically this post is to just ask for care tips and if there are any Canadian breeders that may have a pair or trio ready to ship next spring or even just a few babies I can raise up and then breed once large enough.
    Tia!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Thanks

I am a little sorry to hear you want to sell your cresties, because I love reading about Frogger and Bumble . But chahouas are awesome, and I am happy to see more people taking on the challenge of breeding them. That being said, I keep both cresties and a chahoua, and I find their care requirements are different enough that I would not jump into breeding chahoua right away without ever having kept one. From what I have read, and from observing and caring for my chahoua, I am convinced they need both a heat source and UV light for optimal health, and especially adult chahouas are sometimes picky eaters that do not take too well to commercial diets. (OK, maybe that is just my picky eater, but I read that other people had similar experiences). Add to that that they are a lot harder to breed than cresties ... so all I would say is do not rush anything. My advice would be to start with baby chahouas and only start breeding once you have raised the first generation yourself. This would also give you more time to look for suitable females, which are hard to come by (in case too many of the babies turn out male). Btw, I saw that Reptile Edge is holding a raffle for a chahoua baby at $5 per ticket right now, so maybe you are lucky :-)
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

This seems to be a recurring theme I've been seeing lately... individuals selling off their crestie collections to get into chahoua specifically. Makes me wonder what the market will be like in a few years. (I would like to see prices come down just a little because honestly they are getting pretty ridiculous, but I know a lot of breeders have invested thousands into these animals). But anyway, I would definitely join the Chahoua Classifieds page on Facebook and also the 2 general chahoua groups on there. I've seen a few sellers from Canada post animals for sale but I can't think of any vendors (other than Northern Gecko) off the top of my head in that region that work with them.

Thanks

It's very rare to find RTB pairs/trios or even lone females...and if you do, you will pay a LOT for them!

But it's easy to find people with babies. I'll shoot you a PM

Thanks

Lucia - yeah it'll suck cause I love them but i'm just nt really into them anymore. I used to have a few tokay geckos and wanted to get back into them but soon realized that there's like no Canadian breeders and American sellers price them stupidly high lol, plus chahouas have decent similar care to cresteds so it should be easier to nail down care once I've got a few.
    And of course, I didn't think there would be many pairs or trios up for sale for very cheap so getting a few babies and hoping I get males and females which would be great! Plus then I'd get to have a couple years with them raising them before they are ready to breed so that'll give me time to get used to them and the differences in care and eating habits

ayimera - I've not heard much of it happening but I've not looked into stuff like that much lol. That would be great to get the prices down, northern gecko is sold out for chewies and their prices are like 600-900 each so yeah, I'll go for a few babies for that much instead of possible lol.

Niffarious - yeah that's what I was worried about lol, plus with babies I can raise em up and learn about them more than just getting adults lol.

I sure hope so lol, thanks!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics