Thread: Questions

Thanks

Default Questions

I need help cooling. I have a 18x18x18 and the temperature gets up to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I've started using a weed mister (brand new) to use cool water and it helps a little but during school I really can't monitor it.
    Along with the heat I pretty sure my gecko is getting stressed because high temps and he has stopped eating except for a few licks. He never eats insects. With the cooling of the tank will he start eating more? And should add calcium powder to the CGD (Pangea Apricot)?
    My mother thinks if he doesn't start eating we should take him to the vet
    Should do this also? I'm pretty positive he doesn't have parasites. I've had him for about four years

Thanks for your time

Thanks

Freeze a couple of heavier-weight drink bottles with water, and put inside a lightweight sock. Put two (safely) in your tank, where they won't fall over and crush your gecko. That should be good for about 6-8 hours, so freeze several so you can alternate several times a day. I change mine in the morning, when I get home from work, and when I go to bed.
    Eileen
    TAD - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1

Thanks

I have never used ice bottles, mostly because I have central a/c, but I would also be worried that the geckos may get frostbite if they decide to sit on the bottle. But maybe cresties are smarter than that...
    That is why I ended up using the phase packs I mentioned in the other cooling thread. They have the advantage that they are self-regenerating if your nighttime temperatures drop below the melting point sufficiently long.
    But the water bottles seem like a good solution if no one reports frozen gecko feet :-).
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos "Jackson Pollock" and "Pumpkin Spice" 1.0.0 Chahoua "Urmel" 1.1 Red eared sliders "Freddy Krueger" (25 years) and "Mucki" (45 years) RIP Peppermint (Green Anole)

Thanks

i wouldn't put frozen water bottles IN the tank. I'd set them outside on top. Cold air sinks. If you're trying to cool the tank down, the ice should go on top outside the enclosure sitting on the screen.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Thanks

That's why I had put the bottles in a sock, to avoid frozen gecko feet.

Putting them on top of the tank is a good tip, but how do you keep them from sagging and wearing out the screen?

I'll have to check into the cold packs. Sounds like the best option.
    Eileen
    TAD - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1

Thanks

Idk the eco terra tank lids are pretty tough. I've had random things sitting on top of them for some time now and they're fine p:
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny