Thread: GECKO DIED IN EGG?!?!?!? shocked..

Thanks

Default GECKO DIED IN EGG?!?!?!? shocked..

So a few nights ago my egg that has been incubating for over 100 days deflated and turned brown. I waited for a few days before confirming that it had passed (smell, color, deflated). I decided to cut it to see what was inside and found a small underdeveloped dead baby. I was surprised, it looks to have passed a long time ago.. Anyways, I still have the other egg laid with it and it looks healthy, but that's how the other egg looked a few days ago... Is the other one dead?? Should I slit the other egg or let it be? What if it deflates too?! I need help!!!!

Thanks

If it looks healthy, I'd leave it alone alone and wait a while. If it starts to deflate and look like the bad one, then you can do what you want with it, but if it looks healthy, why take the chance on killing it?
    Eileen
    TAD (Tiny Ancient Dinosaur) - Yellow flame dash pinstripe crestie 1.0.0
    Hygge, aka TBD (Tiny Badass Dragon) - Brown reticulated gargoyle 0.0.1
    Rody Jane - Cattledog/stinkwad mix 0.1.0
    Dixie Moonpie - Rattledog 0.1.0
    Ancient barn cats - 1.2.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

catchingmoonbeam (05-13-2017)

Thanks

If the egg still looks good, I would not touch it. yes, some can die in the egg early and the egg can look fine for a while longer. What temps are you incubating at? I usually won't dare cut unless the clutchmate hatched on it's own already. Pics might help.
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay I will wait and let you guys know what happens. It looks healthy as of right now, but so did the other one! I decided to candle it today and I noticed red veins throughout the egg and a shadow at the bottom of the egg, it was motionless. I just don't want it to deflate while I'm gone, the other one was so unexpected. It's been incubating for around 115 days at room temperature...So if I ever did cut it, (I am going to wait) would it die, or would it break out and live? The clutch mate that died prematurely was so small but I could tell it was a full pinstripe, so it would be devastating to loose this one too (Also I have pics, I just can't upload them for some reason)
    Last edited by catchingmoonbeam; 05-13-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: I have pics, but they won't upload...

Thanks

If you see darkness only in a section at the bottom of the egg and the rest mostly veining at 110 days at room temp (by room temp, do you mean about 72-74F?), I have a feeling this one may also have passed sooner. By this time I would expect the embryo to be filling the egg more where you see mostly darkness blocking out the light. What exact temp range is your particular "room temp"? However, don't let this mean you should cut. I would let it keep incubating at least until you notice signs of obvious distress (sweating/leaking/deflating). You have pics?
    Dedicated to the health, quality, and genetic diversity of Crested Geckos (Correlophus ciliatus)
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrestieFu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's been incubating at about 74F, and truthfully, I only see darkness at the bottom of the egg with the rest of the egg mostly veining...it is not filling the whole egg, despite the egg being very large. It has been consistently getting larger throughout the time it's been incubating and is healthy looking, and I was actually expecting it to hatch soon until the tragic sibling moment. You're probably right- it is probably also dead, but I really don't know how or why they both have passed??? I have been keeping them in moist perlite since January and have only really started touching now...I don't have candling pictures, but yes I have pictures of the eggs and don't know how to upload them, they're on my phone.

Thanks

Sometimes they just don't make it due to developmental issues that are beyond our control despite the best conditions we keep the eggs in . If this is your girl's first season there may be a higher proportion of failed eggs also.
    DoubleHelixGeckos.com
    Facebook Page
    iHerp Page

Thanks

You're right, maybe these eggs weren't meant to make it. She has has actually laid healthy clutches in the past and is just starting up again. I suppose I will just wait all my other eggs out and hope for the best. Thank you for your help!